Savory Spanish Tapas: Recipes for Your Next Get-Together
Spanish Tapas Inspiration
Looking for a unique spin on the appetizers you can serve at your next get-together? Spanish tapas may be the way to go...
With a wide choice of simple-to-make Spanish tapas recipes, you'll be able to satisfy the palates of meat-lovers and vegetarians alike.
So, whether you're planning for a small, intimate affair or a large buffet, get ready for some mouth-watering tapas inspiration:
A Bit About Tapas . . .
Photo used under Creative Commons from: kphua, on Flickr
What are the origins of tapas and why is it sewn securely in the fabric of Mediterranean Spanish culture? I personally like this speculation from Susanna Tee, author of Tapas: Full of Delicious Authentic Recipes.
- "Tapas means a "cover" or "lid" and this gives us a clue to how this cuisine began. Perhaps it was a glass of wine or sherry being covered by a slice of bread, or maybe by a saucer with a slice of bread, ham, or a few olives on it, to keep out the fruit flies, dust or rain. This led to the bread being eaten, which led to the bread becoming something more substantial and a way for the bar owner to tempt his customers and increase his wine .
- . . . Over the years, these little helpings of food have become an enormous repertoire of small dishes. There are small dishes of deep-fried fish and vegetables, a pan of sizzling shrimp, meatballs, croquettes, pinchos (small kebobs or tapas on toothpicks), wedges of tortilla (Spanish omelet), stuffed eggs, cooked dishes in a sauce to be shared among friends and, of course, delicious concoctions piled on top of bread or toast.".
It is said that the serving of tapas is designed to encourage conversation because people are not so focused upon eating an entire meal. And interestingly enough, in some countries it is customary for diners to stand and move about while eating tapas.
Today in select bars in Spain, the United Kingdom as well as some parts of North America, tapas have evolved into a somewhat sophisticated cuisine.
Tapas ... Breads, Spreads & Dips
Photo used under Creative Commons from: avlxyz, on Flickr
In case you didn't know, bread (or "pan" as it is called) is a staple food of Spain and is served with every meal . . . so it stands to reason that a tapa would be incomplete without it.
Most Spanish breads are coarse, country-styled loaves that are purchased daily and eaten fresh. Even if you don't have access to authentic Spanish bread you can choose something similar (like French bread), and cut into thick slices and serve with a flavorful dip or any number of toppers.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . - Several Flavorful Recipes for Tapas Spreads & Dips
- Green Olive Spread
Enjoy a collection of authentic Spanish tapa and food recipes, including a Green Olive Spread tapas recipe.
- Cazuelitas de Bacalao (Salt Cod and Potato Spread) - Tapas Recipes
Salt cod, potatoes, onions and garlic mixed with white wine and spices combine to make a tasty spread. e.
- Spanish Eggplant Spread - Tapa Recipe
This is a simple and easy Spanish tapa recipe. Spread warm over slices of rustic bread.
- White Bean Tomato Dip
Tapa Recipe for White Bean Tomato Dip
Quick & Easy Tapas - The Simplest of Tapas Require Little Or No Cooking
Photo used under Creative Commons from: freddy, on Flickr
Bowls or Small Trays of :
- Manchego or other spanish cheese
- marinated olives
- sliced of cured ham (jamon serrano)
- roasted red bell peppers
- slices of fuet or chorizo sausage
- artichoke hearts
- baguette slices
Start a few flavor combinations for guests . . . then let them take it from there.
Small Plates . . . Big Flavor - An Array of Spanish Tapas Recipes
An expert in Mediterranean cuisine, Joyce Goldstein brings the warmth of Spain across the Atlantic with this delightful array of tapas recipes. These treats are small, savory, and perfect for an evening in with friends.
Tapas ... Meats, Poultry & Seafood
Photo used under Creative Commons from: loop_oh, on Flickr
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . - Tapas Recipes Using Seafood, Meat & Poultry
- Tuna Stuffed Red Peppers - Pimientos Rellenos de Atun Tapa
Light, easy and no cooking involved in this recipe for Tuna Stuffed Red Peppers
- Smoked Salmon with Cream Cheese - Tapas Salmon Ahumado con Queso Blando
Smoked salmon with cream cheese is simply delicious
- Deviled Eggs with Shrimp - Huevos Rellenos de Gambas
Recipes for deviled eggs and shrimp tapas
- Ham Croquettes - Croquetas de Jamon
Recipe for ham croquettes
- Red Peppers with Anchovies - Pimientos Rojos con Anchoas
Quick and Easy Recipe for Red Peppers with Anchovies
- Fried Quail Eggs with Chorizo - Cojonudos Tapa
Cojonudos are made by topping a slice of baguette with a fried quail egg and a slice of fried chorizo sausage.
- Fried Squid - Calamares Fritos
You probably know this famous and very popular Spanish tapa, Calamares Fritos
- Tapas Meatballs with Orange Glaze
Find recipes for Tapas Meatballs with Orange Glaze and others ...
- Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Meatballs in tomato sauce are a traditional tapa recipe from Spain
- Barbecued Mini Ribs
These tasty ribs are known as Costillas in Spain.
Over 300 Tapas Recipes!
Tapas: the Little Dishes of Spain presents more than 300 recipes for the mouth-watering morsels.
More Spanish Tapas Recipe LINKS ... I Like
- Spanish Tapas - Easy Spanish Recipes
The best recipes for spanish tapas.
- Tapas - Recipes for Tapas Party
Learn how to make 5 easy tapas recipes to impress your friends.
- Spanish Appetizers - La Tienda
A hearty list of spanish appetizers
- Tasty Tapas Recipes.
Spanish tapas recipes of meat, fish, seafood, eggs and vegetables
- Tapas - Food Network
Dozens of tapas recipes to choose from . . .
What's A Tapas Party Without ... Sangria!
From classic Spanish sangria to sparkling raspberry lemoncello, Sangria offers pitcher-perfect recipes for fruity wine and champagne drinks. With recipes for red, white, and sparkling sangria, these concoctions will turn any party into a full-blown fiesta.