- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Spiced French Toast with Warm Apple Topping
I love French Toast but I always considered it to be a weekend or holiday meal till I tried this simplified version that makes an easy and healthy weekday breakfast. I have altered the basic French Toast recipe to include some spices and a yummy apple topping instead of syrup.
Since my husband and I have retired breakfast is our time of day to sit together and have a good meal, read the newspaper and start our day. Breakfast is one of our favorite times of the day, but if we don't watch out it can also be a time to add more calories than we really need. I try to vary our menu and alter recipes to include healthy versions.
In this recipe I use a lower calorie bread, a liquid egg product and skim milk. I then add flavor with some spices and when it is finished top it off with some warm chunky applesauce.
Some days I use blueberries instead of the applesauce. Just heat a half cup of blueberries in the microwave for about 1 minute and you have a wonderful sauce for your French toast.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 5 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: 2
- 4 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup egg product or 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- sprinkle nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- Spray your frying pan and put on medium heat
- Mix eggs, milk, vanilla and spices in a bowl
- Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture , turning once
- Add the pieces of bread to the frying pan
- Cook until lightly brown and turn
- Brown second side and put on serving plate
- Warm chunky applesauce in the microwave for about 1 minute
- Top French Toast with warm applesauce
Rate this Recipe
If you are looking for breakfast ideas this book will offer a wide variety.
My favorite slicer for apples. Makes cooking homemade applesauce easy.