Spicy Cheddar and Bacon Cornbread
For me making cornbread means love, for the family is getting together to enjoy food and cherished times. I enjoy making plain cornbread and it's quite delicious with a nice smear of butter, but being the adventurous cook that I am, I like to try new things and test the waters.
There are many good things that one can add to cornbread, but Spicy Cheddar and Bacon Cornbread is my favorite and it has that "wow" factor. Adding cheddar cheese, bacon and green chiles sends this recipe over the top of goodness. Make this for your next family gathering and share the love.
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tbls. sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbls. melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup canned corn
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add milk, eggs and oil until well mixed.
- Fold in green chiles, corn and cheddar cheese.
- Coat the inside of an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan with melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut cornbread into pie slices, top with bacon and serve with butter if desired.
A good quality cornmeal will make the best cornbread.