- Food and Cooking
Healthy Spinach Recipes
Find Tasty, Easy and Healthy Spinach Recipes that Include this Vitamin K Rich Vegetable!
Spinach is an often underestimated vegetable that packs a lot of taste and is very versatile. Added to pasta dishes, it gives bulk, flavor, and some variety. Used in salads, spinach is the perfect alternative to spice up your normal lettuce salad recipes. Baked, it can be used in egg or cheese baked dishes with ease. Simply add it into your existing recipes!
Here you'll find plenty of delicious healthy spinach recipes that won't take long to prepare and will add the necessary Vitamin K to your diet.
Spinach Stuffed Shells
Easy to make spinach recipe!
Stuffed shells are an Italian favorite, but they're full of fat. The ricotta cheese used is quite high in saturated fat. To lessen the fat intake, use a part skim variety. These are perfect leftover, or, double the batch and put one in the freezer uncooked!
-Uncooked large jumbo shells (1 Box)
-1 Box of frozen spinach or 1 lb. fresh spinach (cooked for this recipe)
-2 Tbsp. chopped basil
-1 tsp. garlic powder
-16 oz part skim ricotta cheese
-1 cup jarred tomato sauce
-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
-2 eggs beaten
-1/4 lb shredded mozarella cheese
-1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
-1 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook the pasta shells per box directions minus one minute. The shells will cook further in the oven.
2. Combine eggs, pepper, ricotta, spinach, basil, garlic powder, mozarella and mushrooms into large bowl. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
3. In a large glass baking dish, one by one, fill the pasta shells with the mixture. Fill all of the shells then top with the parmesan cheese. Top the shells with jarred tomato sauce.
4. Bake the stuffed shells for approximately 45 minutes until the cheese is just starting to brown.
Serve immediately with crusty Italian bread.
- Cold Spinach Soup
A great, refreshing soup for the summer months chock full o' spinach!
- Hot Spinach Dip
You can't get much easier than this. 4 easy ingredients.
- Cranberry Spinach Salad
Rave reviews on this not so everyday spinach salad!
- Spinach Salad with Pear & Avocado
An interesting recipe that combines bitter, sweet, tart and spicy!
- Spinach Phyllo Cups
Feta and spinach cups perfect for guests!
- Cheddar Spinach Squares
Super easy to make, this can be done in about 45 minutes including cook time.
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip
There are a few key ingredients that make a great spinach and artichoke dip!
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Recipe - Easy instructions on how to make this veggie appetizer!
Vitamin k is found in broccoli, avacodo, kiwi, and many green veggies like spinach. Studies have suggested that increased Vitamin K consumptin could prevent prostate cancer and protect the human bones.
Filled baked pitas with fresh cooked spinach and cheese!
These pockets really are incredible and simple. All you need is a couple of bags of fresh spinach, some provolone cheese, a little garlic powder, and fresh pita pockets.
Ingredients for Spinach Pockets
-4 whole pitas (the large ones, not the minis), cut in half
-Two bags of fresh uncooked spinach leaves (used chopped frozen only if unavailable, and be sure to strain it very well!)
-1 tsp garlic powder
-4 slices provolone cheese
1. Wash the spinach leaves well under cold water. Be sure to turn the leaves over to get all of them. Remove the stems from all of the spinach leaves and tear the spinach leaves.
2. Boil 8 cups of water and place each ripped spinach leaf into the pot as you go. Discard the stems and cook for approximately 8-12 minutes, or until the spinach is tender. The volume of the spinach will diminish drastically. While the spinach is cooking, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. After cooking, drain the spinach well in a strainer. Push down on the spinach with a spoon to squeeze out excess juice.
4. Saute the spinach with garlic powder in the same pan you boiled the spinach in for one minute to remove more of the excess liquid.
5. Fill the spinach pocket halves with the spinach and top with 1/2 slice of provolone.
6. Bake for 7-12 minutes, or until the pockets get slightly brown on the edge and the cheese melts. Serve immediately. Watch out, they're hot!
Spinach picture by Laurel Fan on Flickr.
How often do you eat spinach?
Get in some extra spinach!
Spinach is delicious! It's easy to add this veggie to your lasagna, pasta dishes, ground hamburger, as a topping on chicken dishes, or as a side with many meals. For convenience, keep chopped frozen spinach around when you don't have time to use the fresh kind.
Scrumptious Spinach Based Products! - Give your taste buds something new and different with these delicious spinach products!
Spinach Dinner Recipes
- Artichoke Spinach Casserole
With only 6 ingredients, you can make this recipe at any time!
- Fluffy Spinach Quiche
A very tasty version of quiche that can use virtually any vegetable in place of the spinach.
- Spinach Calzones
There's not a soul that won't eat spinach this way! Cheese, veggies, bread, what's not to like?
- Spinach Stuffed Shells
Add some spinach to your stuffed shells and you'll be cutting the amount of cheese, plus adding lots of taste and nutrition!
- Creamy Spinach and Tortellini
Filling and totally satisfying, this dish will become a favorite for its rich sauce and creamy texture.
- Spinach Chicken Parmesan
Spinach adds a fresh taste and twist to one of the most popular Italian dishes.
- Roast Beef Spinach Wrap
A low carb dish that fits in with the South Beach Diet!
- Sauteed Spinach
A great recipe to use as a side for many dishes, it goes with anything!
Vegetarian Cookbooks on Amazon
Prof. Dr. Otto Wilhelm ThomÃ©'s "Spinacia oleracea"
1001 Low Fat Vegetarian Recipes
- Chartreuse Products
Truly organic products and eco friendly reusable gifts!
Find tips to make your life a little more sustainable and less wasteful by the day!
Trendy, reusable canvas cotton bags! 100% cotton, machine washable and fade resistant.
- Easy Homemade Vegetarian Recipes
Easy homemade vegetarian recipes, 25 to choose from!
Join Squidoo and Make your Own Lens!
Promote your business, charity, or be passionate on an issue you care about!