- Food and Cooking
Springfield Cashew Chicken And Rice Recipe
Not All Cashew Chicken Is The Same
Springfield Cashew chicken made its showing in Springfield Missouri, in the 60's. Living so close to Springfield, Mo I never knew there was any other type of cashew chicken when growing up besides the fried chicken pieces and rice topped with sweet gravy, cashews and fresh green onions, which I now know as Springfield Cashew Chicken.
I learned about alternative when ordering my favorite dish while traveling and ended up with boiled chicken veggies and a more mild flavored gravy. While that way was probably a bit more healthy, before ordering I always check the recipe.
While Springfield cashew chicken can be eaten by itself or on top of Chinese noodles I loved in on rice. Fried rice is the best with Springfield cashew chicken but as a time saver and to make it just a little bit healthier I tend to make it with boiled rice.
'Show Me' State Cashew Chicken
The Best Cashew Chicken Recipe!
This is how my mom made Cashew Chicken as we grew up in the 1980's and early 90's.
To serve at home she usually just put the chicken, gravy and toppings (cashew and green onions) on the table and let them serve themselves. This also keeps the chicken from getting soggy.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: 4 to 5
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cashew halves or pieces
- 5 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 Tbs white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/8 cup chopped green onion for topping
- tsp ground pepper
- 1 Tbs Veg. Oil
- 4 skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 tps baking soda
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs cornstarch.
- 2 cups of cooked rice. Boiled or fried rice works great.
- Salt as desired.
- To Make The Chicken:
- 1.Cut Chicken breasts into small one inch pieces. Put in freezer for a few minutes if keep cold, but not long enough to freeze.
- 2. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and cornstarch in a shallow dish. After well mixed then stir in sugar.
- 3. Beat eggs in a bowl with a bowl.
- 4. Lightly coat chicken pieces in flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture. Then lightly coat again with flour mixture.
- 5. Fry chicken pieces in oil. Make sure oil is hot before putting in chicken or the chicken pieces will not be crunchy. Pat chicken dry after taken out of the oil and then lightly salt.
- Gravy: (If you have a favorite chicken gravy, you can make it as usually and just add soy sauce and sugar to it.)
- 1. In another pan, mix the chicken broth, oyster sauce, sugar, soy sauce, pepper and 4 tablespoons cornstarch.
- 2. Boil mixture and simmer until it starts to thicken up.
- 3. Let stand for three minutes off heat before serving. It will thicken up as it cools.
- The Chicken goes on top of the rice, topped with Cashews and gravy. After the gravy added sprinkle dish with green onions.
Other Recipes For Springfield Cashew Chicken - There are many different recipes for Springfield style cashew chicken.
- AllRecipe.com Springfield Cashew Chicken Recipes
Allrecipe.com has two Springfield cashew chicken recipes.
- Grouprecipes.com Recipe for Springfield Style Cashew chicken
Check out grouprecipes.com Recipie
- Yummly.com Recipe For Springfield Cashew Chicken
Give Yummly.com's Recipe A Try.
- Top Five Ways To Make Cashew Chicken
Look out for these top five recipes for cashew chicken. And yes Springfield Cashew Chicken Is Number One.
Best Wok For Cooking Chinese Food - I Use To Cook Chinese Food In A Regular Frying Pan.
But after I got my wok I wished I had gotten one a long time ago. A wok allows you to cook truer to a Chinese recipe then a regular frying pan.
The Home Of Springfield Cashew Chicken - Video Introducing The Restaurant In Missouri That Created The Recipe
Chinese Noodle And Rice Recipes
While you can just use plain boiled rice with a little bit of butter, salt and pepper with Springfield Cashew Chicken, you may want to mix it up a bit.