- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Strawberry Soup Recipe
Want something cold and refreshing on a hot summer day, or a 'pick me up' after a long interview or terrible day at work? Try this strawberry soup recipe, it’s
I’ve been trying to think about something to write about for a few hours now, and I have nothing useful on the employment, financial, or traveling front, so we’re going to take a break and talk about what I had for lunch today: strawberry soup.
This strawberry soup recipe is something I found in one of the cookbooks my mother gave me a year or so ago. It’s absolutely delicious, and pretty simple to make. It makes me feel better after, say, I’ve spent an hour and a half interviewing for a job I don’t even want. This strawberry soup recipe just seems to make that a little better. I’ve adapted the recipe just a little, so feel free to do so yourself.
1. Boil the following ingredients for ten minutes:
- 3 cups water
- 1 and 1/4 cup red wine (something light or sweet is best, but it doesn’t really matter)
- 2 cinnamon sticks, or 4 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 whole nutmeg (I add an extra nutmeg because I like the flavor)
- 1 and 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
2. Puree 2 lbs of strawberries. I use extra wine to make pureeing easier, but you can also use water.
3. Take out the cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. Add the strawberry puree to the boiling water and wine. Continue to boil for another ten minutes.
4. Cool for the mixture for at least an hour. Two to four hours is better, but an hour will be okay if you’re short on time.
5. Whip 1 and 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream.
6. Fold 1 and 1/4 cup of sour cream into the whipped cream.
7. Fold whipped cream mixture into cooled water, wine, and strawberry mixture. Serve chilled.
This strawberry soup recipe makes a large mixing bowl full of soup, way more than one person really needs. It’s delicious though, and will keep for several days. It’s light, creamy, and tastes like strawberries and cinnamon. It’s a great light snack for a summer day, but my favorite thing to do is put in a thermos and take it to work.
This strawberry soup recipe is also easy to half if you don’t need so much, or even parcel into thirds if you’re single and living alone like me. Not that I ever cut my recipes in halves of thirds. I make the whole thing and just eat a lot.
Anyway, if you give this a try let me know what you think, especially if you have ideas for improvements. I’d love to update this strawberry soup recipe with any tweaks you may have.