- Food and Cooking
Sugar Plum Gumdrop Tea Cookies
Looking through my cookbooks for something special this year and different from the ordinary family traditions, I found these cute little cookies. They caught my eye because of the appealing decorations and were even more enticing because they are iced with white chocolate instead of normal cookie icing. Thanks to my daughter-in-law for the gift of the helpful cookbook where I found this attractive cookie recipe. The original recipe I found was for pink Dolly Cookies made especially for a child's tea party. But I added my own touch and transformed the cookies into a Christmas version, also beautifully decorated, which I call Sugar Plum Gumdrop Tea Cookies.
After tasting my first Sugar Plum Gumdrop cookie, I was hooked. The combination of white chocolate and fruity gumdrops topping a vanilla cookie is delicious!
I realized, these cookies have it all - besides being beautiful, and easy to make, they are scrumptious too! That makes a winning combination for a great holiday cookie during Christmas when time is scarce.
Now all that's missing with these beautiful little sugar plum fairy cookies is a perfect pot of tea! Can't wait to share them with my family.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 1/2 oz white chocolate
- 3 oz multicolored gum drops
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add vanilla & beat together until smooth.
- Add flour, stirring until well combined.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into a thick sausage shape, about 4 1/2 inches long & 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two large cookie sheets.
- Cut chilled dough into 1/4 inch slices and space them slightly apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until cookies begin to color.
- Transfer to a wire rack & cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in microwave oven or over a double-boiler.
- Stir frequently until chocolate has melted.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the gumdrops into small shapes.
- Using a small spatula, swirl a little chocolate on to each cookie and decorate with a ring of gumdrop pieces.
- Leave to set.
Beautiful gumdrops to create your fantasy sugar plum cookies.
Sugar Plums available from Amazon!
Sugar plums are related to visions and dreams or found in a ballet danced in the Nutcracker Suite. But these sugar plums are the tangible, edible kind you can enjoy! Vision them on your Christmas Sugar Cookies!
Sugar plum gumdrops would be a great way to decorate a Sugar Plum Gumdrop Cookie!