- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
4 Healthy Watermelon Popsicles For The Whole Family
Zoku Quick Pop Maker Freezes Popsicles In Just 10 Minutes!
The Zoku popsicle maker is great for impromptu family gatherings and last minute dessert ideas for unexpected dinner guests.
You can make any flavor of frozen ice pop using fresh ingredients from your fridge in under 10 minutes! To save even more time, make your fruit purees and mixtures ahead of time and store in the fridge.
You can make your popsicles as healthy or sinfully delicious as you like!
Do You Love The Juicy, Sweet Taste Of Fresh Watermelon? I Eat It Every Single Day During The Summer!
I am absolutely tickled pink to be able to share four of my refreshing watermelon popsicle recipes with you and your family to help you quench your thirst and keep cool on scorching hot summer days.
Watermelon is very good for you, loaded with vitamins and water. It is no wonder that this scrumptious melon is the object of two national food holidays. The whole month of July is dedicated to National Watermelon Month and Aug 3 is National Watermelon Day.
In celebration of National Watermelon Day last August, my kids and I created and made four different watermelon popsicle recipes for serving my hungry family and friends during a summer BBQ.
My picky son loved the plain watermelon pops, while the rest of the kids enjoyed the watermelon creamsicles and watermelon-kiwi popsicles. The refreshing and boozy watermelon mojito ice pops were a huge hit with the adults at the party. They will be making an appearance at all our summer cook-outs from now on.
Of course, you don't need a special holiday or an excuse to whip up a batch of these healthy treats. They are perfect for guilt-free snacking all summer long and make a super nutritious snack kids will love to eat.
We used our Zoku Quick Pop Maker to freeze the popsicles in under 10 minutes, but you can use slow freeze popsicle molds or paper cups too!
- Using a Zoku 3-Slot Quick Pop Maker, it will take approximately 7-9 minutes to freeze 3 ice pops for a total of 14-18 minutes per batch.
- Using a traditional slow-freeze popsicle mold, it will take approximately 6-8 hours to freeze a batch.
Did You Know?
- Watermelon is over 90% water making it one of nature's perfect thirst quenchers for staying hydrated on hot sunny days!
- Watermelon is not a fruit! It is actually a vegetable related to squash and pumpkins.
- Watermelon contains zero fat and no cholesterol, it is high in fiber and it is a high source of Vitamins A & C, potassium and lycopene.
Watermelon Popsicle Recipes
These popsicles are simply delicious! The addition of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt turns these pops in hydrating electrolyte popsicles perfect for beating the heat on hot, sunny days or for replenishing your fluids when you have the flu or a virus.
- 1 1/2 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
Zoku Makes Slow Pops Too!
- Mash or blend one and a half generous heaping cups of cubed and seeded watermelon. This will yield about 1 cup of watermelon puree.
- If you don't like the pulp, you can strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or run it through a juicer first.
- Add the lemon juice, sugar and salt to the puree. Mix well.
- Immediately pour the watermelon mixture into your popsicle molds and freeze. It will begin to discolor if let to sit, though the lemon juice slows the process down.
Add A Pinch Of Salt!
It enhances the natural sweetness and flavor of the watermelon. Try it for yourself!
Sprinkle some sea salt on fresh watermelon slices or add a pinch to your watermelon popsicles. And don't forget to toss a pinch over your left shoulder for good luck!
Watermelon Mint Creamsicles
The combination of juicy watermelon and milk infused with fresh mint and honey turns ordinary popsicles into luscious, exotic treats. Mint is well known for its ability to eliminate bad breath and to relieve symptoms of nausea. These make a great snack for pregnant women experiencing the morning sickness blues.
- 1 cup watermelon puree
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4-6 sprigs of fresh mint
- 1/8 tsp salt
Stainless Steel Popsicle Molds Make Wonderful Wedding Or House Warming Gifts!
- In a blender, add a heaping cup of watermelon and four fresh mint leaves. Blend to make 1 cup of watermelon mint puree.
- Add the milk, honey, vanilla and salt. Blend for another 15 seconds to mix.
- Using a mini cookie cutter, cut out fun shapes from the mint leaves and place on the walls of the popsicle molds. Alternatively, you can also leave the mint leaves whole or tear them into pieces.
- Pour the blended mixture into the ice pop molds and freeze.
Watermelon Kiwi Popsicles
These popsicles are super fun to eat and they are pretty yummy too. Watermelon, kiwi fruit and honey milk are layered to look like slices of watermelon, with chocolate chips as the seeds. They are almost to cute to eat. Almost.
- 3/4 cup watermelon puree
- 1/2 cup kiwi puree
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips for the seeds (optional)
Love The Fun Shape Of These Swirly Ice Pop Molds!
- Mash or blend cubed watermelon to make 3/4 of a cup of puree. Pour into a small bowl or cup.
- Mash or blend the inside flesh of 1-2 kiwis, enough to make 1/2 cup of puree. Pour into another small bowl or cup.
- In a third small bowl or measuring cup, mix the milk, vanilla and 1 tsp of honey together.
- Add 1 tbsp honey and a pinch of salt to the watermelon mixture and 1 tbsp honey to the kiwi puree.
- Pour 1/6 of the watermelon puree into each popsicle mold. Add a few chocolate chips for the watermelon seeds if you like! Allow to freeze.
- Divide the vanilla milk mixture between the six molds and allow to freeze.
- Finally, fill the popsicle molds with the kiwi mixture until they reach the top. Let them finish freezing and then enjoy!
Watermelon Mojito Cocktail Popsicles
These boozy treats are just for the adults! Enjoy the same great flavors and ingredients of a watermelon mojito cocktail in a frozen popsicle. Make sure to make lots of extras because once you have one, you are going to want another. And another. And anoth....
- 1 1/4 cups watermelon
- 1/2 cup white rum
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 6-8 fresh sprigs of mint
- fresh lime slices
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Add the lime juice and honey to a small bowl and combine to make a syrup.
- Add the fresh mint leaves to the bowl and using the back of a wooden spoon, lightly muddle the mint leaves and syrup together.
- Add 1 1/4 cups watermelon puree, 1/2 cup white rum and a pinch of salt to the mixture and gently stir to combine. As tempting as it may be, don't add extra alcohol! The ice pops won't freeze!
- Pour the mixture into the popsicle molds, adding a couple of fresh lime pieces into each slot as you are pouring.
- Allow to freeze and then kick back and enjoy this adults only frozen treat!
Which Of These Recipes Would You Most Like To Try?
© 2013 Corrinna Johnson