Sweet Potato Loaf
A Delicious Snack
A sweet potato or two makes a great substitution for a regular potato or two. If you are willing to think outside the box it can be substituted for other vegetables. Like zucchini! Amazing but it's true and the results are fabulous. Try my sweet potato loaf recipe and you'll be surprised how this great snack or dessert will disappear before your eyes.
You can peel and grate just enough sweet potatoes for this recipe or you can prepare an extra two cups and put it in measured storage containers (or freezer bags) to use up in the next few months. When it gets near the end of its freezer life you can throw it into any soup you are working on.
- 2 cups grated sweet potatoes
- 1 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon artificial vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup coconut
- Microwave the grated potatoes with 4 tablespoons of water for five minutes. Stir to release some heat and set aside. In a large bowl mix oil, eggs, vanilla, and sugar. In another mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut.
- Give sweet potatoes another stir to make sure they are not too hot. Add them to wet ingredients and combine. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide between two loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes depending on oven. It will be golden brown when done. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks.
- When cool wrap one loaf up in tin foil, place in a Ziploc bag and store in freezer to enjoy the following week.
If you don't like coconut you can leave it out or substitute walnuts or pecans (lovely).