- Food and Cooking
Sweet Potato Pancakes
Pancakes with a Difference
Sweet Potato is a popular and versatile vegetable, rich in beta carotene, vitamins C and E, potassium and provide lots of dietary fibre. They're even fat free!
You can cook Sweet Potatoes in a large variety of ways, but one of my favourite breakfast dishes is Sweet Potato Pancakes.
Everyone loves these and it's a great way to get some vegetables into the grandchildren.
- 1 big sweet potato or 2 medium
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups of milk
- Â¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Â¼ cup melted butter
- Cut the sweet potato in half or thirds.
- Cover with water and bring to the boil. Once the water is boiling, turn it down and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain and allow to cool. Remove peel and blend to puree
- In a large bowl combine flour, sweet potato puree and cinnamon. Whisk through
- In another bowl combine eggs, milk, sugar and butter. Now add the contents of this bowl into the large bowl which contains the flour and sweet potato mixture. Stir through gently.
- Heat your pan to medium-high.
- Drop the batter in - about 1/2 cup per patty cake.
- Cook until bubbles appear on the top. Flip over. Cook for another few minutes until nicely browned.
- Serve with butter, yoghurt or any topping of your choice
How to Peel the Sweet Potato
It can be tricky at times trying to get the outside skin off a sweet potato. You can use a vegetable peeler or scraper, or the old fashioned way with a sharp knife.
Don't bother. The easiest way to peel a sweet potato is to boil it first.
Chop the sweet potato in half or thirds depending on the size, cover with cold water, boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
When cooled, the skin comes off easily with your fingers.
Gorgeous Griddle? Yes indeed!
Nonstick cooking surface; built-in backstop ledge for easy food handling, cool-touch base; slide-out drip tray and; doubles as a buffet server!
Sweet Potato Cook Book
From the super simple to the exotic.
How about you?
What do you think of sweet potato pancakes?
Photos : : Susanna Duffy