- Food and Cooking
Desserts for Thanksgiving
Sweets - Desserts.
Homemade desserts or sweets are the easiest way to make inexpensive and delicious sweets, desserts or puddings for that special occasion Also when you make it yourself, you know exactly what has gone into the dishes you feed your family.
Cold desserts are always a joy to serve to guests, no one can pass on a good sweets dish, it is something you just cannot resist.
But a hot steam pudding with custard is even better when it's cold. Here are a few dessert dishes you can have prepared in advance, ready for any special meals.
Thanksgiving desserts ideas easy | Oreo turkeys Treats
What Is A Pudding?
In my younger days, we always called a Dessert "Pudding", but in recent years you do not hear the word "Pudding" I thought I would check out what a pudding is. Though many don't like to admit it, using the term pudding or dessert has connotations of class. Using "Dessert" is thought to be posher than a homely pudding.
This distinction has eroded with more traditional recipes making a fashionable comeback in recent times; many restaurants (including top end eateries) using Pudding to refer to the sweet course on menus.
Types of Pudding, baked, steamed and boiled puddings, which I still make and the family love them.
It really doesn't matter what dessert you are wanting to make, in most cases, you will find a recipe that suits you on the internet. But it's always nice to have a recipe book that you can refer to when requiring something special, as in most cases you print one from your search and it is misplaced.
2 1/2 cups crushed (10 oz ), 1 packet Digestive biscuits
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup of butter ( 2 1/2 oz) butter, melted
2 teaspoons gelatin
2 tablespoons water
8 oz pot cream cheese
8 oz pot sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Finely crush biscuits.
Combine biscuits crumbs, lemon rind, juice, and butter.
Line the base and sides of an 8in springform tin with biscuits mixture.
Chill while preparing the filling.
Pour filling into prepared base.
Chill until set. Serves 6.
Combine gelatin and water.
Leave to swell for 10 minutes.
Beat cream cheese until soft.
Add sour cream and beat until well combined.
Add sugar, lemon juice, rind and vanilla.
Beat until sugar has dissolved.
Dissolve gelatin over hot water.
Stir through cheese mixture.
What do you called a dessert?
After Your Main Meal What do you call your dessert?
8 oz sweet short pastry
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cup full cream milk
Roll pastry out on a lightly floured board to line a 8 in pie or quiche dish.
Bake blind at 400F for 15 minutes.
Remove baking blind material and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Beat egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon rind and sugar until combined.
Lightly beat in milk.
Pour into pastry shell.
Bake at 400F for 5 mins, then reduce temperature to 300F and cook for a further 20 minutes or until tart is set.
Serve warm or cold
Flourless Chocolate Cake
8 oz cooking chocolate
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
lightly whipped cream
fresh seasonal fruit
Melt chocolate and butter together over hot water or in a microwave.
Beat yolks and sugar together until thick and creamy.
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Fold melted chocolate mixture, egg yolks, egg whites and baking powder together.
Pour mixture into 8in cake tin lined on the base with baking paper.
Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake is set.
Stand in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
The cake shrinks down as it cools.
When cold dust with icing sugar and serve with lightly whipped cream and fresh seasonal fruit.
Easy Bread Pudding Recipe
When it's cold the left-overs, I like with icecream, or custard.
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/4 cups standard plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- Beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa together.
- Fold in to beaten mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a greased ovenproof dish.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Sprinkle sauce mixture over.
- Carefully pour boiling water over the back of a spoon onto the pudding.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until pudding springs back when lightly touched.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar.
Do You Know?
Egg whites need to be at room temperature to gain their greatest whipped volume.
It is important to whisk egg whites in a clean bowl as any traces of grease can make the egg whites
harder to whip and decrease their volume.
Use a glass or metal to achieve maximum volume.
- 2 cups stewed fruit - e.g. apples plums apricots
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup standard plain flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Place stewed fruit in bottom of an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar.
- Spoon the mixture over fruit.
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes or until pale golden
- Wholemeal Crumble
- Replace flour with Wholemeal flour. Increase the butter to 1/3 cup of butter.
Time for this dessert will be different for everyone as no two freezers freeze the same.
- 1 Quart size (32oz) chocolate ice cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- pint (16 oz) cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup chopped glace fruit
- Soften ice cream and mix in the vanilla essence.
- Use to line the base and sides of a pudding basin.
- Freeze until firm.
- Whip cream until stiff.
- Fold in icing sugar,almonds, chocolate and glace fruit.
- Use to fill the chocolate ice cream cavity.
- Cover with foil and freeze until firm.
- Un mould onto a serving plate by dipping bowl under hot water two or three times, then inverting onto a plate and shaking sharply.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
Bread Butter Pudding
- 4 X 2 cm thick slices stale spiced fruit loaf
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- icing sugar
- Cut bread into quarters and arrange over the base of an ovenproof dish.
- Beat eggs, milk, cream and lemon rind together until combined.
- Pour through a sieve over bread.
- Bake in a bain marie at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes or until set.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar.
8 oz packet trifle sponge
1/4 cup raspberry or apricot jam
1/4 cup sherry
16 oz can fruit salad
4 tablespoons custard powder
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups milk
2 egg whites
Pint (16 oz) cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1/4 cup chopped nuts
Cut the sponge in half horizontally,
Spread cut surface with jam.
Sandwich halves together.
Cut into cubes then put into serving dish.
Spoon sherry over sponge.
Spoon fruit salad and juice evening over sponge.
Mix custard powder and sugar and 1/2 cup of the measured milk in a saucepan.
Stir in remaining milk.
Heat to boiling then simmer for 2 or 3 minutes or until thicken.
Remove from the heat.
Cover and leave until cool.
When custard has cooled, beat egg whites until stiff, fold custard into egg whites.
Pour custard over fruit salad in serving dish.
Chill until set.
Beat cream until thick. Stir in vanilla and icing sugar.
Decorate trifle with cream and nuts
© 2011 Elsie Hagley