Recipe for Taco Salad with Homemade Chips
Taco Salad is an easy, complete meal all in one, and a recipe that has been in my family for years. This is an attractive, delicious salad that is cool,crispy, spicy, meaty, flavorful, creamy, and just plain yummy!
It can be modified to suit individual taste preferences--mild, spicy, or filled with fire. Onions or no onions, you choose how you like it with no compromise to the abundant flavor found in the basic recipe. It can also be adjusted to be low-cal, or even vegetarian when made with boca crumbles.
Hope you find my taco salad as tasty and addictive as I do. This is my number one favorite meal whether it be lunch or dinner.
Here's the Ingredients You Will Need
- 1 1/2 lbs lean hamburger meat (ground turkey or boca crumbles also work too)
- One 16 oz can kidney beans drained (pinto or black beans can be substituted)
- 1 package Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 2 avocados diced (save a few slivers for garnish)
- 3 -4 Tablespoons purple onion chopped
- 1/2 can black olives (quarter olives but save a few whole for garnish)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- French Dressing or Ranch Dressing if you prefer
- One 10 oz can Ro*Tel diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- Sour Cream
- Diced Jalapeno Pepper (if you like it very spicy)
- Tabasco Sauce
- Brown hamburger meat. Drain, add taco seasoning and 3/4 cup water. Add kidney beans and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 5 min. Stirring occasionally.
- While meat is cooking assemble salad ingredients in a large bowl. Tear lettuce into bite size pieces, Dice tomatoes and avocados (reserve a few slim avocado wedges for garnish). Chop purple onion and quarter olives--saving a few whole olives for garnish. Add tomatoes, avocado, onion, black olives, and cheddar cheese to bowl with lettuce. If you choose to add jalapeno pepper, chop up amount you wish to add and add to salad. Toss to mix ingredients.
Taco Salad with Homemade Chips
A Few Suggestions If You Like It Hot ... Or Not
How Spicy Do You Like It?
A little Jalapeno Pepper will make it plenty hot!
And to get more heat, you could add a few sprinkles of cayenne pepper to the taco meat while cooking.
Tabasco, Frank's Red Hot, Pace's "Hot" version or Louisiana Hot Sauce will all add an extra "kick".
Or if you do not like hot, avoid all of the above and use Pace Picante Sauce in the mild formula. Or you could use no hot sauce at all ...
The Salad, The Taco Meat, and The Chips
Toss It Up
Baking Sheet for Cooking Tortillas
Baking sheet, plus corn tortillas and olive oil with kosher salt to make your own "Home-made Corn Chips"
Homemade Corn Chips
I made these chips the first time as an emergency substitution. I was out of Doritos and Fritos but I had corn tortillas. So since these tasted so much better, they became part of my recipe from then on.
- 4 corn tortillas
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Brush corn tortillas with a light coating of olive oil. Cut in quarters. Place on a foil lined cookie sheet. Salt generously with Kosher salt.
- Bake at 425 degrees for a total of 10 minutes. Turn chips over halfway through cooking time. Check frequently so chips do not burn. It may take more or less time depending on the moisture content of your corn tortillas.
Now for the Presentation
Be creative in the assembly. There are many ways to present this delicious meal.
This is where it all comes together. The salad, the taco meat, the dressing, the sour cream, the picante sauce, the chips, and the garnish ...
Here is how mine came out this time ...
YUMMY!!! Time to Enjoy :)
- Deborah Leigh Alexander
Visit my author's website here
Get Your Colorful Fiesta Dinnerware Here
Colorful Fiesta Dishes
These colorful dishes make every day a Fiesta!
You can build your set of dishes with a place setting in different colors--red, blue, yellow, orange, green, purple ... and some even come with all the colors on one place setting, making for one very colorful set of dishes.
Fiesta Dinnerware - In a Rainbow of Colors
Make your own fiesta with this Fiesta Dinnerware that comes in many colors.
These dishes are beautiful and colorful, making everyday feel like a fiesta. Their color adds the perfect touch to your perfect delicious Mexican dinner.
What is your favorite Mexican Food?
Fire or No Fire? - What's your opinion?
How do you like your Mexican Food?