My Favorite Taco Soup Recipe
Need an Easy Recipe for Taco Soup That Everyone Will Love?
Taco soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. It's great for football or snowy days or even a quick dinner idea.
This recipe is extremely easy to put together with inexpensive ingredients, and my friends and family ask for this dish over and over. It's no wonder this dish shows up on my weekly menu plan so often!
Anyone who knows me knows that I rarely cook from recipes... I may start from a recipe, but I like to tweak and improve recipes to put my own unique stamp on them. Since my family has been asking for this recipe, I've decided to write it down and share it with others on my favorite website - Squidoo!
Below you'll find my favorite taco soup recipe (tweaked and perfected over many years) as well as other recipes from across the web. Enjoy!
About My Favorite Taco Soup Recipe
I created this recipe from a combination of taco soup recipes I found on the web and my favorite chili recipe.
My family loves my chili recipe, but I got a little bored making chili week after week, so I went back to taco soup recipes that I had collected over the years and started tweaking.
The result is a taco soup recipe that is very easy to put together (with easy to find, inexpensive ingredients), and that is also a bit heartier than many taco soup recipes.
I wanted a recipe that was a bit heartier than soup, but not quite as thick as chili, so my recipe is kind of a hybrid between the two.
I also like to use a dutch oven for this recipe, but you can use a stock pot or a slow cooker as well.
So, if you have a picky family like mine (this is the only soup recipe that my family actually requests!), then you'll love this taco soup recipe...
As you'll see this is a very easy recipe, with easy to find ingredients found at any grocery store. It's also a very economical recipe:
1 to 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef *
1 small onion, chopped
1 package taco seasoning mix (I like Williams, but you can use your favorite brand)
1 can crushed tomatoes (I only use about half the can, and freeze the rest for another recipe) *
1 can tomato sauce
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1 (15 oz) can red beans, drained
Sour cream (optional)
Green onion, chopped (optional)
* Using 1 1/2 lbs ground beef and half a can of crushed tomatoes make this a heartier recipe (like a chili recipe) than your traditional taco soup recipes.
Putting It All Together
1. In a skillet or , over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until the beef is browned. Important: season your ground beef while cooking with salt and pepper. For hotter taco soup, you may also want to use cayenne pepper. dutch oven
2. If you're using a crock pot, transfer the beef mixture to the slow cooker. If you're using a dutch oven, continue to the next step.
3. Add the taco seasoning, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, Rotel, beans, and corn.
4. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours (if using dutch oven), or 4-6 hours if using a slow cooker.
5. Serve with tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions.
More Taco Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
"This is a quick, throw together slow cooker soup with a Mexican flair. Teenagers love it. Serve topped with corn chips, shredded Cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Make sure you adjust the amount of chile peppers if you're sensitive about sp
- Taco Soup
"This is the best taco soup, and the easiest I have ever made! Great for busy days, you can put it in the slow cooker and you're done!"
- Paula Deen's Taco Soup Recipe
This is Paula Deen's taco soup recipe from FoodNetwork.com.
- Southern Taco Soup
"This is one of our favorite recipes. It's quick to mix up and is filling. The boys go wild for this dish."
- Recipe for Taco Soup
"While there are numerous ways to prepare a basic recipe for taco soup, we have found that the following recipe has stood up well over the test of time. Take a look at our favorite recipe for taco soup."
Or Make Your Own Taco Seasoning - With these taco seasoning recipes
Want to make your own taco seasoning instead of using a package? Here are some great taco seasoning recipes I found on the web... enjoy!
- Taco Seasoning I from AllRecipes.com
Depending on how spicy you and your family like your dishes, use as little or as much as you want.
- Restaurant-Style Taco Meat Seasoning
This tastes very close to the taco seasoning favored by a very popular fast-food taco restaurant. You can make this at home, and let your family prepare tacos the way they like.
- Make a Taco Seasoning Blend
A simple how to on making a taco seasoning spice blend from About.com.
- Taco seasoning from scratch - DIY Life
If you are buying taco seasoning from the store in kits, you can save your self a lot of money -- and a lot of unneeded sodium! -- by making your own at home.
- Robbie's Recipes: Taco Seasoning like Taco Bell's
If you like Taco Bell's taco seasoning, you'll live this recipe...
Chicken Taco Soup
For those of you who prefer chicken taco soup, here's a great recipe I found and modified from AllRecipes.com.
This is a recipe for your crock pot or slow cooker, and has many of the same ingredients as my beef taco soup, but with shredded chicken instead. This taco soup is made mostly with canned ingredients, so if you already have some leftover chicken on hand, this is a very fast recipe to assemble; just let your crock pot do all the work!
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel, undrained
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts shredded
1. Place the chopped onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, Rotel tomatoes and taco seasoning in your crock pot. Place the chicken breasts on top of the mixture (make sure chicken breasts are covered so they cook evenly).
2. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
3. Remove the chicken breasts from the soup, shred the chicken. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 more hours.
4. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
More Chicken Taco Soup Recipes...
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup Recipe - AllRecipes.com
A hearty combination of beans, corn, tomatoes, and taco seasonings, slow cooked with shredded chicken. Deliciously finished, if you like, with Cheddar cheese, ...
- Tex Mex Chicken Taco Soup Recipe - Food Network
Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Food Network Tex Mex Chicken Taco Soup recipe from Emeril Live.
- Chicken Taco Soup | a dash of cinnamon
This Chicken Taco Soup is a party soup. The kind of soup you take to a party, eat with friends, while drinking beer. Preferably homemade beer ...
Tortilla Soup Recipes
At my first job out of college, I worked for a pretty large firm that had a cafeteria for it's employees. The all-time favorite dish prepared at this cafeteria - and this was everyone's favorite, not just mine - was tortilla soup. You always knew when it was tortilla soup day. I can still taste those tortilla strips today!
If you're not familiar with tortilla soup it's basically a chicken soup (think chicken taco soup) with fried tortilla strips on top. Yummy! Here are a few of my favorite tortilla soup recipes:
- Chicken Tortilla Soup - AllRecipes.com
"This soup is quick to make, flavorful, and filling! Serve with warm corn bread or tortillas. This also freezes well. Garnish with chopped fresh avocado, Monterey Jack cheese, crushed tortilla chips, or green onion!"
- Emeril's Quick Tortilla Soup Recipe - Food Network
Food Network invites you to try Emeril's Quick Tortilla Soup recipe from Emeril Lagasse.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup II Recipe - Food.com
A popular chicken tortilla soup recipe over at Food.com.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond
I love, love, love, love Chicken Tortilla Soup. So over the weekend, I made some. The end. Wasn't that a beautiful st...
- Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network
Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Food Network Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe from Rescue Chef.
EbizTaxTips is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, endless.com, smallparts.com or myhabit.com.