Thai Squid Salad Recipe | Resepi Kerabu Sotong
Yum Pla Muk (Thai Squid Salad)
Yum (Yam) is traditional Thai seafood-based salad. It can be made of any kind of seafood: fish, shrimp, squid, etc. One of popular Yum is Yum Pla Muk (Thai squid salad). This light salad originated from Northern Thailand, near Laos border. People believe this dish is a culinary influenced by Laotian.
If you are seafood lover and looking something different from your old boring seafood salad, then this Thai squid salad could be for you. Light, fresh, spicy, springy and boucy squid pieces, also tangy and sour. This salad is truly a culinary delight. Simple and easy to make also another plus. Serve it as appetier in the winter or as main course during hot summer day. Enjoy simple truly Thai salad.
Thai squid salad poll
Are you going to try Thai squid salad ?
Prep Time: 30
Total Time: 45
- 1 onion
- 2 lbs squid (cleaned)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 -5 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 5 thai red chilies
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 lemongrass
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber
- 6 -8 cherry tomatoes
- lime wedges
- cilantro leaves
- mint leaves
- Cut the lemongrass about 1 inch from the bottom. Peel the outer leaves and chop or mince the white part. Set aside.
- Wash red chilies and deseed it. Then mince it into fine pieces or paste. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the onion finely. Set aside.
- Wash and peel the cucumber then cut it into matchstick pieces. Set aside.
- Cut the squid into 1/4-inch wide ring. Cut the tentacles into smaller lumps. Wash and drain.
- In a stove, bring a pot of salted water to a gentle boil. Then reduce the heat. Add the squid and simmer in for about 1-2 minutes or until the squid turns opaque but not over cooked. Drain immediately in a sieve and rinse it with cold water. Place it in a bowl.
- Add sliced onion, ginger, lemongrass, minced chilies, garlic, lime juice, fish sauce and cilantro leaves into the squid bowl. Toss and mix well. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Then add cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes (halves). Toss it well.
- In a salad platter, put lettuce leaves and transfer the salad on the top of salad leaves. Serve with lime wedges and or mint leaves.
- image credit
How to clean fresh squid
Kitchen tool you may need - Fish knife
Yum Pla Muk (Thai squid salad) close up
Thai cook book and recipe - If you love Yum Pla Muk, you may like to get more Thai recipes
How to make Yum Pla Muk video
Other Asian salad recipes - Aneka resepi kerabu
- Nasi kerabu recipes
Malaysian rice on herbs
- Mango kerabu salad recipe
Make your mango salad at home. A real Malaysian style, Fresh and spicy
- Kerabu beehoon recipe
How to make vermicelli noodle salad ala Malaysia
- Kerabu perut lembu recipe
Learn how to make beef tripe salad
- Kerabu nangka muda recipe
Make young jackfruit salad at home. Exotic and spicy
- Resepi Kerabu ikan bilis
Cara membuat kerabu ikan bilis yang lezat. Sangat mudah
- Resepi kerabu tomato
Campuran tomato, rempah-rempah dan ikan bilis.
- Resepi kerabu timun
Add some spicy to your cucumber salad!
- Resepi kerabu sotong dan suun
Making your own squid salad. Very spicy
- Resepi kerabu pucuk paku
Fiddle stern salad
- Resepi kerabu sayur
Kerabu aneka sayuran.
- Resepi kerabu pegaga
Making your own pegaga kerabu at home.