- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Chewy Chocolate Brownie Delight
Cacao dark chocolate
It's in the Chocolate
Starting a good brownie recipe begins with the best chocolate. Dark chocolate has many heart healthy benefits. The chocolate I am talking about is at least 65% organic cacao powder. It is loaded with anti-oxidants, and flavonoids that protect us from free radical damage. It also aids in relaxing blood vessels. I once craved chocolate and asked my doctor about it. His answer was, you must be low in magnesium. He said chocolate "is loaded with magnesium", and one of the richest sources is found in organic chocolate. In this way my body was alerting me as to a nutrient I was essentially lacking. It can improve blood flow to the brain, and in turn “lift our moods” by helping to release endorphins. Which brings me to the next ingredient and that is caffeine. If caffeine keeps you up at night, it is not a good idea to eat it late. If its energy you are after, this is the perfect way to indulge. Well you know, with all things, moderation is the key.
Crazy for nuts...
A much needed nutrient
If you are like me and need the extra magnesium, women should try for 310 mg, and men around 400mg daily. Nuts are a great way to increase your magnesium levels. Try sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts, pine nuts, peanuts, walnuts, almonds and cashews.
Preparation and baking
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered chocolate, organic cacao chocolate
- 4 eggs whipped, in a separate bowl
- 8 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 6 squares baking chocolate, unsweetened
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla, pure
Melting the chocolate squares and butter
Using a glass or metal pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13x9x2 pan. It can be glass or metal.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat melt the butter and the chocolate squares until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla and the whipped eggs.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, cocoa and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture. Mix in the chopped walnuts.
Add to batter while preparing
sprinkle over top of batter prior to baking.
Sift powdered sugar on top
- Toast the walnuts on a large sheet pan for 5 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the internal color becomes a light tan in color. Add to the batter for an extra crunch.
- Aluminum foil can be used to shield the corners of the pan. Be sure it is folded smoothly over the corners. If used remove during the High phase of baking.
Photo of chewy brownie
|Serving size: 2 oz. square|
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|Carbohydrates 21 g||7%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Sodium 77 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Additional Nutritional Values