- Food and Cooking
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Delicious, mouth-watering, chocolate chip cookies. Made with decadent dark chocolate chips, this recipe has been declared a favorite by my friends, and every child that has come through the house on a day when I am making them. My children's friends' always ask that I pack an extra one or two for them in my kids' lunch boxes. Even my friends snoop around the counters looking for my fresh baked cookies.
They are absolutely the best chocolate chip cookies ever, when they are fresh out of the oven, but have cooled for 5 minutes. The chocolate chips in this recipe are deluxe, and add to the wonderful taste.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 36 cookies approx.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bag (11.5 oz) Ghirardelli premium baking chips 60% cocoa
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add softened butter and mix until creamy. Then add both sugars, vanilla and egg and continue mixing until almost fluffy.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add flour mixture to the butter and other ingredients. When the dough is completely mixed, gently add the bag of chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing them apart by at least one to one and a half inches.
- Place them in the oven and cook for 9-11 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Note: if you are cooking more than one sheet of cookies at a time and do not have a convection oven, you may want to rotate the trays half way through, to ensure even cooking. Again, this depends on how well your oven cooks.
The Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie
Make it a little healthier
To make a great oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, reduce the flour from 2 1/4 cups of flour to 1 3/4 or 2 cups, then add 1 1/2 - 2 cups of quick oats, oatmeal, depending on your preference for how much oatmeal you like in the cookie. This will make a mildly oatmeal cookie, but it won't be overwhelmingly chunky.
Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookies
A nice touch of extra flavor
For a little variety replace one cup of chocolate chips with one cup of butterscotch chips. This provides a nice combination of both dark chocolate and butterscotch flavors. This can also be done with the oatmeal version of the cookie. These cookies will disappear quickly !
Ever Fresh Cookies
Cookies are most flavorful when they are fresh out of the oven. I always make a batch of cookies, then only bake the amount that we'll eat in about 24 hours. I then either put the rest in a tupperware in the refrigerator for use later in the week, or I freeze the dough.
Freezing the dough is simple. I lay out some parchment paper, then place the dough on the parchment paper in a thick line, about 12 inches long. I then roll the parchment around the dough, making a "log" of dough, that is about 12 inches long, and about 1.5 inches in diameter, and I pop it in the freezer. When guest or kids come over, all I do is take it out of the freezer, give it a few minutes to thaw a bit, then take off the parchment and cut the log into half inch thick slices and place it on the cookie sheet. Depending on how cold they are when you put them in the oven, you may need an extra minute or so of cooking time.