- Food and Cooking
Deluxe Cinnamon Toast Recipe
Recipe for The Best Cinnamon Toast
Cinnamon toast was a tradition in our home. Although it was a favorite after-school treat, only on snow days were we allowed to eat cinnamon toast for breakfast. I can still feel the sting of the cold floor against my bare feet as I carefully sprinkled cinnamon sugar over the buttered bread. It had to be done just right—all the way to the edges—so the sugar would carmelize and form an irresistible, crusty layer over the soft bread.
If using sliced loaf bread you may want to toast the bread first, although this is an entirely personal decision. I like mine soft and warm under the layer of carmelized sugar. Instead of sliced loaf bread we prefer substantial, thicker breads such as ciabatta, baguette or even challah.
Why is this cinnamon toast "deluxe"? A drizzle of icing makes this cinnamon toast extra special, like a homemade pop tart. My husband calls it "cinnamon roll bread" because of the gooey cinnamon flavor. So if you're craving cinnamon rolls but don't have the time to make them, try Deluxe Cinnamon Toast instead!
Click Below for More Breakfast Recipes
How to Make Cinnamon Toast
Breville's Smart Toaster Oven 800: A Full-Size Convection Range in One Small Package
Cinnamon toast can be toasted under your oven's broiler but if you find you use the broiler often, a toaster oven may be a wise investment. We recommend Breville's Smart Toaster Oven, not only for its good looks but also for its funcionality.
A must for small kitchens, the Breville Smart Oven offers "smart" cooking for fast and even browning. A convection oven, it offers much more than just toasting. It can bake a cake or a 13-inch pizza quickly and evenly without heating up the kitchen. You may find yourself reaching for this little appliance more often than your full-size range. Choose the Breville Smart Oven 800 for perfect cinnamon toast and savings on your energy bill, too!
- Invest in a cheese shaker if you make cinnamon toast often.
- Store cinnamon sugar right in the shaker by placing waxed paper under the lid.
- Buy a good quality cinnamon such as Saigon, which tastes like red hot candies.
- Spread butter and cinnamon sugar all the way to the edges of the bread.
- We like a ratio of 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to 1 cup of brown sugar, but adjust according to taste.
Best Cinnamon Toast
Cinnamon Toast Ingredients
- 2 large breads such as ciabatta or baguette, or 4 slices of loaf bread
- 3-4 Tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, preferably Saigon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk or, for adults, rum or Grand Marnier
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- Pour brown sugar and cinnamon straight into a shaker (see Amazon capsule). Cover lid's holes with a paper towel and shake until combined.
- If using baguette or ciabatta, slice bread in half. Place bread, cut side up, on a cutting board or countertop.
- Generously spread softened butter on the bread.
- Sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar.
- Place bread under a broiler for several minutes, until bubbly. Don't leave unattended as the bread can burn quickly.
- While the cinnamon toast broils, mix up the icing. Place sugar, vanilla and milk in a bowl and stir with a spoon until smooth.
- Remove cinnamon toast from the oven.
- Drizzle cinnamon toast with icing.
- Eat immediately, while still hot.
- Serve Deluxe Cinnamon Toast with a glass of cold milk or a mug of piping hot coffee or tea.