The Best Comfort Food
Delicious Tomato Soup - Comfort Food
There are many categories of comfort foods, and I prefer the one that describes comfort food as sentimental and nostalgic, evoking a positive feeling.
Certainly when I have my chosen flavour it reminds me of a time in my past that felt and seemed positive. There are a lot of recipes out there and variations; seems like everyone has their take on this popular soup.
My favourite recipes I have hunted down and tried because I was looking for a particular version that is as close as I could get to a leading brand. That brand holds a lot of memories...
Comfort Food and Nostalgia
Now and again when I was ten or eleven I used to walk home at lunch time to eat, as my mother had mentioned, she would also be home for lunch (a rare occasion), and there waiting for me was a bowl of cream of tomato soup. Okay I'm not going to lie and suggest my mother made it, she had an hour at best for lunch, and was a bus ride away from work.
No this was out of a tin, 'Heinz' and we didn't have it often. I'm not sure if my mother added something, or if it was simply the memory of spending half hour with her that for some strange reason, at this time of the day, was different, less stressed, and almost cheerful, or the hot crusty cobs(bread rolls) she would layer on with butter like she didn't care. That's my earliest memory of comfort food, Ice cream, chocolate bars and sweats in general, notwithstanding.
Soup of my day
Heinz tomato soup
- 7 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 clove of garlic.
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced.
- 1 large onion sliced.
- 3 28 -ounce cans whole peeled Roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil crushed.
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 pint heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat adding the onion, garlic and carrot, cook until soft, add the basil and cook for five more minutes.
- Stir in the broth and add the tomatoes, bring to the boil and then simmer for 20-35 minutes.
- Add the saucepan contents to a blender and purÃ©e, and strain back into the saucepan.
- Now over a low heat stir in the cream and heat it through to the desired temperature and season to taste with ground black pepper and salt.
Tomato Soup Recipes
Fresh Tomato Soup
Kitchen Shark collection from ShearArt ten different designs to choose from and four apron colours, great for BBQ get togethers and boat parties.
Be the envy of your friends and neighbors this summer with the Kitchen Shark collection.