- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
The Best Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza Ever!
I have made this pizza dozens of times for family and friends and I am repeatedly told it is hands down The Best Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza Ever!
What could possibly be better than a homemade pizza with roasted chicken, crispy bacon, roasted garlic, sweet red onions and red peppers, fresh pineapple, juicy mushrooms and spicy jalapenos on top of a savory herb garlic pizza dough, slathered with tangy bbq sauce and covered in a hot, gooey blend of three cheeses? Why, two pizzas, of course!
In celebration of National Pizza With Everything Day on November 12th, I fired up the barbeque, probably for the last time this year before the snow really begins to pile up, and made this sweet and spicy pizza for dinner, much to my family's delight. The pizza tastes so amazing cooked on an outdoor grill, giving it a lightly charred and smoky bbq flavor.
I always use my to make my pizza dough in because it is super easy, mess free and best of all, I get to keep my hands clean. Of course, you can still mix the pizza dough the old fashioned way and knead it by hand. Panasonic Bread Maker
I add the fresh garlic, italian seasoning and oregano directly into the dough. The result is a delicious savory crust that smells absolutely heavenly when it is rising and baking and tastes even more amazing when cooked. I make a double batch of dough and bake a pan of herb garlic flat bread brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with even more oregano and italian seasoning specially for my son. It's his favorite and he would eat it every day if he could.
I use on my pizzas. This stuff is seriously so good, I could eat it by the spoonfuls. A little bit sweet and a lot spicy, just the way I like it. I always squirt a little (okay, a lot) extra on the side of my plate to dip my pizza in. Kraft Sweet & Spicy Chipotle BBQ Sauce
The CFL's Grey Cup is coming up next weekend and I am going to make a couple of these pizzas for the boys to enjoy along with a couple of cold beers as they watch the football game on the big screen. So, for your next pizza night, heat things up and make one of these sweet and spicy pizzas for the grown-ups. I swear they will all agree that this is the best bbq chicken pizza ever and will be begging you to make it again!
- Pizza Dough:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water, 120F to 130F
- 1 1/2 tsp fast rising yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup fresh pineapple
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup monteray jack cheese
- Prepare The Dough: Place all the dough ingredients into the pan of your bread maker. Set the machine for dough only and allow to rise in the machine for one hour. So easy and simple!
- Alternatively, you can use a little elbow grease and make the dough by hand. Add the flour, sugar, salt, oil, yeast, garlic and seasonings to a large mixing bowl and slowly add the lukewarm water. Mix the dough by hand until it all begins to come together. Turn the dough out onto a floured counter top and continue kneading the dough by hand until it is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and allow to rise in a warm place for one hour.
- Place the dough on a well floured surface and roll out into a 14" circle. Place on a pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal before adding the toppings to enable you to slide the prepared pizza easily onto a hot pizza stone. If you don't have a pizza stone, you can prepare and cook the pizza on a baking sheet.
- Prepare The Toppings: While the dough is rising, prepare the toppings for the pizza. I like to use a cooked roast chicken from the deli, but this is also a great way to use up leftover chicken from the previous nights dinner. For extra convenience, I use pre-cooked bacon slices. I always keep a box of these in my fridge for when I want to add bacon to a recipe without all the mess and fuss.
- Cut about a 1/2" from the top of a head of garlic and place it in a piece of tinfoil. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle a little sea salt on top. Close the foil and bake in a 425F oven for 25 minutes.
- Dice and slice the red onions, red peppers, mushrooms, pineapple and jalapeno.
- Grate the three different cheeses with a cheese grater or food processor.
- Prepare The Pizza: Squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves onto the rolled out dough and spread around with a fork. Spoon the bbq sauce on next, taking care not to get too much near the edges.
- Add the chicken, bacon, mushrooms, red peppers, red onion, pineapple and jalapeno next.
- Cover the entire pizza with the grated cheese.
- Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 450F. If you are using a pizza stone, allow it to preheat for 30 minutes for the best results. I heat my pizza stone up in the oven while the garlic is roasting. Slide the prepared pizza onto the hot pizza stone or bake on a cookie sheet in the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the bottom of the crust is lightly browned and the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- BBQ Method: Heat the barbeque and your choice of a pizza stone, cast-iron pan or heavy duty baking pan for at least 10 minutes on medium high with the lid closed. (I normally heat my pizza stone in the oven first and then transfer it to the grill.) If you do this, I highly recommend using a pair of high heat resistance silicone oven mitts. Slide the prepared pizza onto the hot pan or stone and close the lid. Watch the pizza carefully, as it will take considerably less time to cook than in an oven, taking about 5 to 7 minutes only.
© 2013 Corrinna Johnson