- Food and Cooking»
How to Make a Great Margarita
When Life gives you limes, it's time to make Margaritas!
Start with the basic Margarita, then let your creativity flow!
There are many ways to mix and enjoy a Margarita, with nearly as many variations of this classic cocktail as there are TexMex restaurants that serve them. Frozen and fruit flavored Margaritas are very popular, and mixing up batches of frozen margaritas has worn out many a blender.
The traditional Margarita is composed of just basic three ingredients: Tequila, Triple Sec and fresh lime juice. Mixed in a 3:2:1 ratio and served "on the rocks", many Tequila aficionados prefer this simple Margarita over the sweeter frozen drinks. Whether served frozen or on the rocks, flavored with fruit and mixed in a blender or shaken and poured into a salt-rimmed glass, there are many variations to this timeless cocktail to suit every taste bud. Starting with the basic ingredients, trying mixing different combinations or adding a few more flavors to increase the fun and make some great tasting Margaritas -- or at least, makes for good fun in taste-testing Margaritas. Creativity is rewarding!
Here's how to make Margaritas. Enjoy responsibly.
To get you started, here are five of our favorite classic margarita recipes.
How to Make a Classic Margarita
The House Favorite Margarita Recipe
After working in the yard or kicking back at the beach, this simple Margarita recipe is quick, easy and deliciously refreshing.
- 3 oz. of quality Tequila
- 1 oz. of Triple Sec
- 1 oz. of Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 oz. of Fresh Orange Juice
- 2 oz. of a quality Margarita Mix
- Fill a large shaker with ice, and pour in 3 oz. of quality Tequila, 1 oz. of Triple Sec, 1 oz of fresh lime juice, 1 oz of orange juice and 2 oz of a quality Margarita mix. Shake vigorously.
- Rub the rim of a rocks style glass with a lime wedge, and invert the glass into a small bowl of coarse sea salt, coating the rim of the glass with salt. Fill the glass with ice.Using a strainer, pour the shaken Margarita into the ice filled glass. Serve with a garnish of lime.
Here's to living life with a grain of salt, a wedge of lime, and a shot of Tequila
The Super Simple Margarita Recipe
Straight forward and to the point, this basic Margarita recipe really lets the full taste of a good Tequila shine through.
For parties, multiple the ingredients to make Margaritas by the pitcher.
- 2 Parts Quality Tequila (think Jose Cuervo Gold. Jose Cuervo 1800 is even better.)
- 1 Part Triple Sec. Raise the bar by using Cointreau or Grand Marnier instead of a generic Triple Sec.
- 1 Part Fresh Lime Juice. Squeeze your own lime juice -- no concentrate or bottled juice here.
- Pour the ingredients into a shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously. Strain and pour into an ice-filled rocks glass. Garnish with a slice of lime.
- Enjoy responsibly!
- Fill a shaker with ice, add the ingredients and shake vigorously. Pour the Margarita into a properly prepared glass.
There's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on— Jimmy Buffett
- Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville Lyrics
Margaritaville LyricsWritten by Jimmy Buffet
Frozen Strawberry Margarita Recipe
This recipe for a Frozen Strawberry Margarita uses concentrated limeade and packaged strawberries from the freezer. It's easy to make, the ingredients are available year round and it best of all --- the Strawberry Margarita tastes great!
- 6 oz. of Tequila
- 3 oz. of Triple Sec or Cointreau
- 1 - 6 oz. can of frozen limeade
- 1 - small package of frozen strawberries (about a cup)
- ice cubes and a little cold water
- Add all of the ingredients (except the water) to the blender, and then fill with ice. Blend until smooth.If the mixture seems to thick, add just a little cold water and blend some more. Serve in a stylish Margarita glass!
Forecast: Bright and sunny with a chance of flip-flops and a sprinkling of margaritas.
Frozen Lemonade Margarita Recipe -- Blanco!
This refreshing frozen concoction substitutes lemonade concentrate in place of the more typical limeade. Using a silver Bianco Tequila and upgrading the Triple Sec to orange flavored Grand Marnier makes this Margarita stand out.
- 6 oz. Blanco Tequila
- 3 oz. Grand Marnier
- 1 - 6 oz. can of frozen lemonade concentrate
- 1 - Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 - Tbs sugar (optional; to taste)
- Ice cubes and a little cold water
- Pour the Tequila, Grand Marnier, lemonade concentrate and fresh lime juice into the blender. Fill the blender with ice, and blend until smooth. If the Margarita is a bit too tart for your liking, add the sugar. If the mixture is too thick, add a little of the water (or a little more Tequila!). Blend to mix, then pour into a stylish Margarita glass.
It's 4:58 on Friday afternoon. Do you know where your margarita is?
The Epicurious Margarita Recipe - From the following YouTube Video
- 2 oz. Herradura brand Tequila (or any other quality Reposado Tequila)
- 1 oz. Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tsp. Super-fine sugar
- 1 oz. Cointreau
Which Classic Margarita Recipe Do You Like The Best
Which Classic Margarita Recipe Do You Like The Best
A Quality Cocktail Needs Quality Ingredients
What Is Tequila?
Tequila is the distilled product made from the Blue Agave plant (agave tequilana). The sugary juices are extracted from the heart of the Blue Agava, fermented and distilled into Tequila.
All Tequila branded spirits are distilled in the western Mexican region of Jalisco. Mexico staunchly protects their Tequila industry and according to Mexican law, if it's not produced in Mexico, it cannot be called Tequila.
The Five Categories of Tequila:
Blanco: ("White" or "Silver") Blanco Tequila is aged for less than two months and is typically bottled immediately following the distillation process.
Reposado: ("Rested"): Reposado Tequila is aged in oak barrels for at least two months, but for no longer than one year.
Joven: ("Young") Joven Tequila is a blend of Blanco and Reposado Tequilas.
Anejo: ("Aged") Anejo Tequila is aged in small oak barrels for at least one year, but no longer than three years.
Extra Anejo: ("Extra Aged")Extra Anejo Tequila is aged in small oak barrels for more than three years.
Around the Web: Margaritas!
More Classic Margarita Recipes
- Rick Bayless: Pure and Simple Margarita Recipe
You'll need just three ingredients for this simple Margarita recipe: fresh-squeezed lime juice, a 100% agave Blanco silver tequila and Cointreau
- Hilah Cooking's Simple Margarita Recipe
Simple Margarita Recipe for Cinco de Mayo, Amigos!
- Drink Mixer's 1800 Tequila Simple Margarita Recipe
Fix glass with ice, add 1800 Tequila and Triple Sec, and ten fill the rest of the glass with your favorite margarita mix.
- Tequila.net ~ Simple Margarita Recipe
Tequila.net takes mixing the perfect margarita very seriously, especially by using only authentic Tequila.
- The Liquor Snob's Super Simple Margarita Recipe
Mix up a pitcher of this simple margarita for a thirty crowd!
- Simple Margaritas: Mixing the Perfect Margarita
Oh, wait! You're already here....
- Home of National Margarita Day
A special day of celebration to pay tribute and honor the margarita on this special day of celebration. February 22nd of every year is National Margarita Day.
Jimmy Buffett Performs "Margaritaville" - How can you have a lens on Margaritas without raising your glass to Jimmy!
It's 5:00 PM somewhere!!
Frozen or On The Rocks?
How Do You Like Your Margarita?
© 2012 Anthony Altorenna