The Best Spam Fried Rice
Spam Fried Rice
Fried Rice has always been a favorite dish of mine. I have been cooking it for as long as I can remember! It is one of the first few dishes that my mum taught me when I left home for college. It is one of the easiest recipes to make but at the same time, simple dishes are those that are the most difficult to get it to taste the best. This dish is really versatile. I have made it with chicken, beef, pork, vegetables and even real crab meat. You can mix it up with different ingredients and add different side dishes with it. I have pair fried rice with some fried chicken cutlet or some sliced barbeque beef or shredded pork for a more fusion flavor to it.
What's the secret?
The secret to making the best fried rice is not in the ingredients, you can add whatever you want in it and it would not be good if your rice is not cooked the night before. Reason being that when you cook fried rice with freshly cooked jasmine rice, it is too moist and the fried rice becomes soggy. So there you have it, that is the secret! I found that out from a chef who works at a Chinese restaurant.
Without further ado, let me introduce to you one of my favorite dishes-Spam Fried Rice.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 4
- 3 cups of cooked jasmine rice (cooked the night before)
- Half a pound of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 -12 oz can of spam
- 4 eggs
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Dice the spam and put it in a separate bowl.
- Beat the eggs and put it in a separate bowl.
- Defrost the mix vegetables and set aside.
- Preheat a frying pan or wok with some oil and saute the spam, when lightly browned, remove from the frying pan and set aside.
- Using the same frying pan or wok, with the leftover oil from frying the spam, scramble the eggs. When the eggs are half cooked, add the rice and put the heat to low. Mix in the rice with eggs until thoroughly cooked. Make sure to stir the whole time so the rice does not burn at the bottom.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (I usually add more pepper as I like a spicy kick to my rice)
- Mix in the mix vegetables and spam.
- Serve with cilantro or green onions as a garnish.
A wok is a "must have" to cook fried rice.
Fried rice tastes the best with generous sprinkles of white pepper.
Serve your fried rice on pretty dinner plates!