- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Best Spare Ribs recipes
Cook Spare Ribs choosing from my top 35 tested spare ribs recipes!
Are you looking for the best spare ribs recipes from all over the world? Because who does not like spare ribs.? You are in the right place here...
..Spicy or not, tender or less tender, barbecued or in oven, even just fried, spare ribs are unhealthy, fattening, ergo delicious as the sin. For me every time i eat good spare ribs, it is just like a step stone in my life: the best in Pretoria, at "Marguerite", other good one in Scotland (surprise) and very good one in Sydney.
Now i want to make my ribs, promised to my friends, and i am experimenting, over and over, dozens of recipes and methods. So why should all this work to go away, better i'll show you all what i found out: spare ribs recipes from everywhere...
updated Wednesday 20 August 2014
photo credit: :Allrecipes
Main families of Spare Ribs
So far, reading hundreds of recipes, i found Spare Ribs are cooked mainly by 3 methods: barbecued, braised and in the oven. Other difference there what i found is about 2 ways of getting there: pre-cooked by steaming or boiling and strait, just rubbing, more or less, with spices.
So i will show up the best spare ribs recipes, by this categorization.
What i noticed, methods are mainly preferred the same on the same area, this is quite normal. So i will try to mention the location where i found the recipe.
Interested in Spare Ribs Recipes on the Earth
Help me complete this map about where on the map exist Spare Rib lovers...If at your location you love it, tell me, so i can put it on. Also tell me how you cook it.
If unfortunately your meat is not very young, you can make it tender making a sauce of 1 tsp mustard, 50 ml wine and 1 tbs soya sauce and rubbing the meat. Leave it 1 -2 hour, and then start the actual recipe. These ingredients wont spoil the taste.
First you need the basics.
Buy fresh, good quality pork ribs, about 400 gram for every average hungry guest.
Spare ribs barbecue - Excellent barbecue pork ribs recipe.
I love this video, because shows you how these cowboys are cooking great ribs, looking so simple, yet giving all the steps, so you feel confident about doing it yourself...The method is a combined way to get the tender, juicy and spicy ribs and using barbecue sauce to finish it.
Dry rubbed barbecue pork spare ribs recipes
Good part: you do not need much preparation time, laborious marinade, etc.
Bad part : this kind of ribs will be cooked hours on the grill.
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 slabs pork spareribs ( each about 3 pounds)
- The spices combined are used to rub the ribs on both sides.
- Wrapped in baking sheet and plastic wrapper refrigerate them 2-6 hours.
- Now the ribs are ready for the grill, put them with meat side down, on the hottest part of the grill, cook it 4 minutes, turn the ribs meat side up, on the cool section of the grill, put the lead and cook for 2 hours. When is tender, but not falling yet from the bones, they are ready.
Memphis Style Spare Ribs Recipe - barbecue pork ribs recipe
Photo Credit :Memphis Style Rib Rub
Great barbecue traditions, we should give the attention what deserves this dish. Accent on the quality of the meat, the flavor of the ribs.
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- full spare rib rack
- Take the full spare rib rack and trim it to nice, neat ribs. Lay the ribs out, bone side down and cut along the line of fat at the base of the ribs. Now flip over the rack and cut off the flap of meat in the middle of the rack. Grill these two portions up for a tasty appetizer. Lastly, remove the membrane from the back of the ribs to let in the flavor and allow excess fat to melt away. Memphis tradition suggests that you remove the long muscle from the front of the ribs. If you look at the rack, bone side down, you can see it.
More rubbed barbecued pork spare ribs recipes
The most classical mixture for the rub in the rubbed pork ribs recipes is paprika, salt, cayenne and pepper, so nothing special. The trick is all about the barbecuing, slowly, with patience and love.
- Kansas City Ribs-pork ribs recipe
it is a traditionally, rubbed, barbecued spare ribs recipe, using sauce at the end.
- Rubbed and glazed citrus ribs
takes time but the result is really amazing, a very good spare ribs recipe
- Barbecue pork ribs
using wood chips to give that smoke flavor, a spare ribs recipe must to try
- Spanish spare ribs recipe-Costillas Asadas
This recipe is for marinated , and slow grilled spare ribs.
Pre-cooked, barbecued spare ribs recipes.
Ribs are steamed or boiled, kept in spices or marinade, and barbecued. More preparation time, but quick finish on the barbecue.
Pork ribs with marinade - from South Africa, Pretoria
Barbecue pork ribs recipe: courtesy by Graham, from Cookbook
- 150 ml tomato sauce
- 75 ml honey or golden syrup
- Good pinch of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 50 ml vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granular mustard
- 50 ml apricot jam
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 chili chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon Soya sauce
- 75 ml chutney
- 2 kg spare ribs rack
- boild in salted water 20 min.
- Put everything into a sauce pan except the ribs,over a low heat and and stir until steams comes off the top.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool, place 1kg of the cooled ribs into a plastic bag with the half of the marinade, 1 onion which has been quartered, 3 bay leaves and a pinch of peppercorns. (This marinade will do 2kg of ribs, so 2 bags)
- Leave the ribs to marinade for at least 2 hours, then braai or grill them until the edges begin to blacken and the meat is pulling away from the bone.
Best spare ribs recipe ever ( found in a restaurant in Pretoria)
2 kg ribs (rack) are steamed until tender, approx. 1 hour. This way taste and juices will remain in the meat, and on the grill will be ready quite quickly.
- 2 scallions
- cut in 1 cm pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs rose hip jam ( in absence plum or apricot)
- 2 tsp. chili sauce
- 2 tsp. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 kg. spare ribs
- 2 tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 glass white wine
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 100 ml tomato juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- mix ingredients (except ribs, which are steamed and cooled) in a large pan (marinade). Put ribs into marinade and let marinate for 2 hours, turning after 1 hour. Broil ribs on grill coating each side with the marinade.. Watch ribs - as they begin to crisp, turn and baste again. When marinade begins to brown, the ribs are done.
- NOTE: If you do not want to steam ribs first, bake them at 250 degrees for 40 minutes, 350 degrees for 20 minutes, and 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
More pre-cooked, barbecued spare ribs.
Pre-cooked ribs are maybe more work to prepare, but is easier to barbecue them when together with family or friends, and also if is properly marinated in the meantime, is tastier and juicier, than the dry rubbed one, at least for my taste.
Braised spare ribs.
you can prepare it indoors, on the cooker.
Italian Country Style Braised ribs
Recipe courtesy Anelle from Allrecipes.com
Photo from Allrecipes.com
It's easy and delicious. You can add things like mushrooms or peppers. Serve with white rice or noodles, salad and bread. You can pour the sauce over the rice/noodles."
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 3 pounds country style pork ribs
- Heat the oil in a extra-large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ribs to skillet and brown on all sides. Pour spaghetti sauce over ribs and stir in the water. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour. Turn ribs after 1/2 hour of cooking. If the sauce gets too thick, thin it with a little more water.
Braised spare ribs - Est european recipe
Recipe courtesy Michael Symon
Photo courtesy davidlebovitz.com
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 quart veal stock
- 2 ounces red wine vinegar
- 2 ounces tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 pounds spare ribs
- cut into bones
- 4 ounces peanut oil
- -Season flour with salt and pepper and dust ribs with it. Knock off any remaining flour and heat up oil. Brown ribs in oil and set aside.
- -Saute, over low heat, the onions and garlic until translucent. Add spices and stir. Add the puree, red wine vinegar, and beef stock and bring to a simmer.
- -Place ribs in braising pan and cover with the seasoned beef stock and veal stock. Cover with foil.
- -Preheat oven to 375 F.
- -Place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours or until ribs are tender.
More braised spare ribs recipes
Oven cooked spare ribs.
the preparation is almost like the barbecued spare ribs, but you can do it indoors.
Oven cooked spare ribs, in foil.
Adapted from Harold McGee
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (ancho is recommended) or paprika
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or red or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mild or hot pimentÃ³n (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 pounds spareribs
- cut into 4 slabs
- rinsed and patted dry
- I would increase the salt, and possibly double it. Honestly, you can tweak the rub any which way (add cumin, black pepper or red pepper flakes, more paprika, more chili powder), there's no way these can come out badly.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, chili powder or paprika, salt, garlic powder, cloves and cinnamon. Place each slab of ribs on a piece of foil large enough to fold into a packet. Sprinkle spice rub over the ribs, patting it in generously on all sides. Turn the ribs meat side down and tightly fold the foil to make sealed packets.Put the racks on a baking sheet and place it in the oven. Bake for 4 hours at 200 degrees, then reduce the temperature to 175 for another two hours or until a fork easily penetrates the meat. Open each packet carefully and pour the accumulated juices into a saucepan. Boil the juices and reduce them by half, at which point you will have a syrupy sauce that easily coats a spoon. Stir in paprika and vinegar.
- Remove the ribs from the foil and either coat them with the sauce or serve the sauce alongside the ribs.
Argentinian Short Ribs of Beef with rub and sauce
- FOR SAUCE: 2 bottle beer
- 1/2 cup coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tbs coarse salt
- FOR RUB: 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 lrg lemons juice
- 2 bn Italian parsley
- stems trimmed
- 1 x white onion
- finely chopped
- 6 x cloves garlic
- Preheat oven to 275 F.
- * In a food processor, blend garlic and onion. With motor running, add parsley, lemon juice, chili flakes and cayenne. As mixture starts to become chunky, add oil in a steady stream. Continue to process until relatively smooth and thick. Using rubber spatula, scrape mixture into a bowl. Add salt and pepper. Set aside.
- * In a small bowl, combine pepper, brown sugar, paprika and salt; mix together thoroughly.
- * Rub beef ribs with spice. Place in roasting pan. Pour beer around beef; cover pan with foil. Bake in preheated oven for three hours. Cut into individual rib portions.
- * Preheat barbecue or grill to medium-high. Grill ribs for five minutes or until crusty and tender. Serve with chimichurri sauce.
More oven cooked spare ribs recipes.
May take hours to get the best ribs with this method, but is tasty, juicy, and popular. Wintertime, when barbecuing is difficult, is the only choice. use it as a second choice, and enjoy the result...
- Slow baked spare ribs recipe
Begin preparing the ribs one day ahead so that they can marinate overnight.
- Oven baked spare ribs recipe
very tender, fall aprte.
- Drunken Spareribs Recipe
Enjoy spareribs year-round, whether you have a grill or not. By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone.
- Teriyaki-glazed pork spare ribs recipe
" hours cooked in oven.
- Cooking Spare Ribs in the Oven
- Chinese spareribs
spareribs recipe Back to top
Easy, quick spareribs on the cooker
great chinese recipe, no decent chinese restaurant without it.
Chinese easy spare ribs
- 1 Â½ kilo pork chops
- 1 tbs Peanut
- 1 tbs scrap ginger
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs Chinese barbecue sauce
- 100 ml dry sherry
- 1 tbs mixture of five spices
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- Boil the ribs in a pot with water for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Strain and then wipe off with kitchen paper.
- Heat oil in vok and put the chops to become red.
- Then to strain on kitchen paper.
- Sweep the oil from the pot and put the remaining materials to boil.
- Add the meat and leave for 10 minutes .
More spareribs on the cooker
- 2 ways spare ribs
this recipe is giving the opportunuty to finish the ribs on barbecue is wanted, or on the cooker if is not barbecue time.
- Spareribs and Sauerkraut
German recipe, cooked on the cooker. Tasty and different...
- Crispy Five Spice Spare Ribs
Marinated for 3 hours and deep frayed until crispy.
- Lamb spare ribs
Marinated for 8 hours, fryed in pan.
For spare ribs and chicken
Don't forget to put on the table, when ribs are served, bowl with warm water and lemon juice, to clean the sticky fingers
Not easy to choose...
How is cooked the Spare Rib in your town?
Wine matches to the spare ribs.
Spare ribs are spicy and tasty, they require fairly full-bodied wines, in order to not fade the taste of the meat. I would recomand Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfandel. Order it from Amazon, they will bring it to you at the door, even if ordered a day before.
These links gave me most of the best spare ribs recipes.
Some recipes come from books and chefs from restaurants from South Africa, Australia, Romania, Hungary, Scotland.