- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
The Secret in the Sauce - Pork Chops and Cherry Sauce
Lesson 3 - Cooking School for Real Housewives
Some kind of wonderful....
Sauces can be very difficult to cook but if you can learn one or two well - you can make any meal taste like it was prepared by a chef - even if you don't really know how to cook that well. This week I will show you how to make a complete meal fit for a king with a total prep and cooking time of about 45 minutes.
I have made the instructions so basic even Adrienne from Beverly Hills (who can not figure out how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich) can follow along and cook this dinner. It disappoints me that these ladies are supposed to represent the modern day Real Housewife and they feign learned helplessness. Come on Adrienne, even you can figure out how to spread peanut butter AND jelly on two slices of bread.
This sauce is so versatile - it can be used for beef, poultry, pork, fish or vegetables and rice. It tastes delicious and while you build a repertoire of food you feel comfortable cooking, this sauce can be used in a dozen ways and it's a cinch. When you serve your meal - it will look and taste like you spent hours in the kitchen.
You Go, Grill!
- 16 oz Dark Cherries, (Frozen or canned are fine)
- 3 Tablespoons Cherry Preserves, (Jelly or Jam is fine)
- 3 Tablespoons Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Corn Starch
- 2 - 4 Pork Chops
- Mix all ingredients together and puree in a food processor. This is optional though - the sauce is equally delicious with the cherries chopped.
- Pour all of the sauce into a ziplock bag and add pork chops and marinate over night.
- Remove the meat from the sauce. Bake the pork chops at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until they are no longer pink. You can also throw them on the grill. Cook over a low heat for about 15 minutes each side - depending on thickness.
- While the meat is cooking pour the sauce into a pan and cook over medium heat. Heat the sauce to boiling and continue cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and serve.
Quick and Easy!
Mashed Potatoes in 5 Minutes
Research Proves It!
The top five scents that turn men on:
And now for the secret - in the sauce!
The secret in the sauce is ... the scent.
There is a ton of psychology wrapped into food. Visually, we eat it with our eyes, but before even that, it is the smell that draws us in. The sense of smell is a very primitive one and it has a direct route to different parts of the brain. Vision and hearing, for example, must travel to a sort of hold over station in the brain before they are processed. Smell is associated with emotion and sexual behavior.
This is why, my friends, cooking is a very shrewd skill to use to your advantage if you want to have a happier marriage. A scent can be so powerful that it can conjure up feelings of love, trigger memories or make you feel calm. Humans have approximately 40 million olfactory receptors.
Housewives, when your husband arrives home from work and opens the door, the first thing that will travel to his brain is what he smells. It won't be a purposeful observation - it will be a matter of brain function. Use it to your benefit. If you are not cooking something that smells pleasant light a candle, boil water and cinnamon sticks on the stove.
As a former real estate agent, one of the tricks to making a house more appealing is to bake cookies before you show the home. A tip for any seller is - you must make the house smell pleasant. If there is an unpleasant odor the school of thought becomes, "if you can smell it - you can't sell it."
Aromatherapy is a big business because research shows that different scents can induce calm or pleasant feelings that are also healing. The sense of smell can psychologically be used as a power tool.
You do not have to have four years of culinary skills to prepare food that tastes great. Chef's on t.v. would never tell you to use Bob Evan's potatoes or a bag of microwavable green beans. I am the RealHousewife. This is how a real housewife manages to make a delicious dinner that works for a busy schedule. That, and a little secret sauce!
"Smell is a potent wizard.that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived." ~Helen Keller
Side Dish Ideas!
- The Smell of Love | Psychology Today
Why do some people smell better to you? A look at how human body odor influences sexual attraction. By F. Bryant Furlow | Psychology Today
- The Vivid World of Odors
Research and articles about the sense of smell. Learn more about how humans smell, how the nose works, and more. From the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
Make sure you ALWAYS cook pork until it is NO LONGER PINK!! None! No pink is ok!
- Trichinosis Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Prognosis and Treatment on MedicineNet.com
Get the facts on trichinosis causes, symptoms, diagnosis, life cycle, prognosis, risk factors, complications and treatment. This food-borne infection is typically acquired by eating undercooked pork.
- Dad Darren Ashall left paralysed after eating undercooked pork chop | Metro.co.uk
Father of two Darren Ashall was left paralysed in intensive care after eating an undercooked pork chop.