How to make a delicious tie dye cake from scratch!
If you were ever curious about how to make a tie dye cake froms scratch; well here is your chance to make one!
You can make these delicious cakes for any occasion including birthdays and holidays! They are so festive and fun and when the birthday boy or girl cuts the first piece of this cake they are sure to get a surprise!
Lets start by baking a white cake: either homemade or buy your own (1 or 2 boxes)
~ Everything is better homemade so here is a recipe from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook
SILVER WHITE CAKE: prep: 10 mins; bake: 45; cool: 10 mins
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose or 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups shortening
-1 1/4 cups milk
-3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
-1 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
-5 large egg whites
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches, 2 round pans, 9x1 1/2 inches, or 3 round pans, 8x1 1/2 inches, with shortening, lighty flour.
2. Beat all ingredients except egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Then beat on high speed 2 mins.
3. Beat in egg whites on high speed 2 mins.
TIE DYE MAGIC!
4. This is where you need to get the food coloring out. After you have your white cake batter, you divide it evenly among 4 smaller bowls. There should be a little over 1 1/4 cup of batter in each smaller bowl. Make each bowl a different color using the food coloring. For example in the picture the colors I chose were red, yellow, green and blue.
5. Distribute the now colored cake batter in the pan of you choice. Lightly swirl with a butter knife. Bake rectangle 40 to 45 minutes, 9-inch rounds 30 to 35 minutes, 8-inch rounds 23 to 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 mins. Cool completely!
For the icing you can use any type that you like but below is a simple icing that goes well with this cake! This icing is also from Betty Crocker's cookbook, so you know it has to be good!
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING!
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cups stick margarine or butter, softened
-1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
-1 to 2 tablespoons milk
-(for 2 9-inch rounds double the recipe)
1. Mix powdered sugar and margarine in medium bowl. Stir in vanilla and milk
2. Beat until smooth and spreadable.
3. I chose to color this icing using a lime green to make the cake look more presentable.
Now the tie dye cake is complete and ready to eat!