Typical Dutch: Split Pea Soup with Smoked Sausages
Dutch Specialty: Split Pea Soup with Smoked Sausages
Each year when the days are shortening, it's time to make my Homemade Green Split Pea Soup. We hardly ever eat soup during the year, but this one is a 'must' when Winter is knocking at our door.
This time I made the broth from a piece of sheep meat and sheep bones, but normally I use a ham bone.
Can't help it, but I always seem to make more soup than we can eat and I put the rest in plastic boxes and put them in the freezer for later. There always comes a day that you don't feel like cooking dinner and then all you have to do is heat up the split pea soup and make a cheese sandwich to go with it. Yummy!
In Winter when we're lucky to have enough thick ice on the lakes to skate on, there will always be a stand on the shore where you can buy hot chocolate and very often also this typical Dutch Split Pea Soup and it never goes without the smoked sausages.
- 250 gram Green Split Peas
- 1 small bag of pre-cooked potatoes
- 1 small bag of cutted mixed veggies
- 1 liter water
- 1 ham bone
- 2 smoked sausages
- 1 big pot
- 1 wooden spoon to stir
- Put the Ham Bone in the water and season it with salt, pepper and whatever you want to use to make a good tasty broth, or you can just use a ready made broth.
- Let it simmer for about 1 to 2 hours.
- Take out the meat and cut it in small pieces.
- When the broth is ready, throw in:
- 250 grams of split peas, the potatoes and the veggies.
- Let it boil and then turn the heat low and let it simmer for about 2 hours until the peas get all soft.
- Don't forget to stir reguarly, or the peas will burn to the pot.
- When it is all mushy, stir it firmly
- Cut the smoked sausages in small pieces and put them in the soup.
- Add Pepper and Salt to your own taste.
- Add water if the soup turns out to be too stiff
- Put some butter on a slice of rye or black bread and put some cheese or bacon on it.
A Typical Dutch Winter Soup
Have you ever tasted split pea soup with smoked sausages?
I Hope You like My Green Pea Soup
© 2013 Titia Geertman