- Food and Cooking
Top 10 non-alcoholic drinks for the summer
The very best of non alcoholic cold drinks
Refreshment urgently required.
Supplying your body with liquids is vitally important in hot weather, not to mention the comfort that a large pitcher of iced tea can bring on a sunny day. Here's the list of top 10 most invigorating and healthy drinks to help you stay cool this summer.
1. Iced coffee
Why iced coffee deserves your love?
- Because it's delicious!
- Because it still gives you the caffeine kick, even when it's chilled
- Because you can drink it from a tall glass through a straw :) AND you can add a paper umbrella. AND a marshmallow. On a stick.
Iced or not? The decision is yours!
Tired of good old coffee on the rocks? Go frappe!
Did you know...
- Frappe style coffee comes from Greece
- It should be made from instant coffee - brewed doesn't hold the bubbles so well
- Sometimes coca-cola is used instead of water
Tired of waiting for your coffee to cool?
Try this instant solution in delicious flavour variations
What's your favourite?
Which of the flavours above would you use to make your perfect cup?
How to make lemonade?
You probably already know this. But check out this video for some secret tricks!
How to make your lemonade even better?
- Use sparkling water for extra fizz
- Add a sprig of mint to make it even more refreshing
- Add a tablespoon of strawberry syrup for this lovely, pink tint
Don't they just ask to be squeezed?
What's your favourite lemonade?
Pick a colour, quick!
Don't have time to go through all the motions?
Simply squeeze half a lemon straight to your glass, add two spoonfuls of sugar, mix well and top up with sparkling water
Serve your lemonade with style!
3. Strawberry puree
Everybody loves strawberries!
Strawberry puree is one of my sweetest childhood memories. Each time strawberries were in season and my mum didn't feel like making jam, she would whizz whole batches in a blender with some sugar and we would all gorge on the stuff.
Plus, packed full of healthy vitamins.
Why is strawberry puree perfect for the summer?
- Because it helps you utilise the abundant strawberry harvest!
- Because it's so filling it can act as a light meal
- Because you can freeze it and enjoy strawberries even in winter
If it's too thick for you, try adding some sparkling water, ice cubes or yoghurt.
Oh, and it's even more delicious with wild strawberries!
Sugared or sugarless?
I always, always add sugar to my strawberry puree. Who cares about healthy eating when you can have something so delicious? Which option is more appealing to you?
With sugar or without?
Wild strawberries? Anytime!
Let strawberries into your kitchen!
4. Iced tea
Why is iced tea good for you?
- Because it reduces cancer risk
- Because it is packed full of antioxidants = helps you stay young longer
- Because it gives you energy without coffee's bad side effects
The perfect tall drink
Green or black?
Green is healthier, black is (to me!) tastier - how about you?
Which tea do you prefer?
Make it exotic!
How to make thai iced tea - a step-by-step tutorial
Spruce your tea up!
5. Raspberry juice
Quintessence of summer
What you will need?
- Raspberries. Lots and lots. And lots.
- Some sugar (optional)
The ultimate summer treat
Ok, this is the best summer drink I have ever EVER tasted.
The recipe is simple - take lots and lots of raspberries, pack them into a cheesecloth and squeeze. Repeat, repeat, repeat, until you have a decent amount of juice.
What you'll get it the purest, most delicious juice ever, that kicks you in the face with flavour and leaves you on your knees begging for more.
I don't think you can buy it anywhere. Nobody would ever make any money mass-producing it, because it takes so much raspberries to make even small amount of the juice.
But everybody should try it, if only once in a lifetime.
When I was a child, my whole family used to go to a forest and spend a day picking wild raspberries. Then my grandma would take everybody's harvest and turn it into 1-2 tiny jars of the most intense fruit juice in the world. This shows how raspberry consuming the recipe is.
In my family it was treated more like a medicine than a beverage - the juice is so packed with vitamin C that a spoonful a day keeps you safe from winter colds. But after you've tasted the first mandatory spoonful neat (and went to raspberry heaven...), you can simply dilute the juice with water and serve on ice for a yummy, refreshing summer drink.
Probably the most refreshing drink in the world
Why should you drink kefir?
- Because it's super extra healthy. And I mean it!
- Because cold kefir quenches thirst like no other drink in the world
- Because you can turn it a low calorie treat by adding few simple ingredients
Kefir question no. 1
Did you know about kefir before you've read this lens?
Kefir question no. 2
Have you ever tried it?
Did you know...
...that kefir is a fantastic hangover cure?
Kinda unofficial knowledge, but I've been there, tried that and it works
Make your own kefir!
Here's what you will need
7. Herbal ice tea
Which herbs make best tea?
- Mint - tastes delicious and is good for your tummy, too
- Chamomile - wonder plant, traditionally alleviating more than a hundred ailments
- Rooibos - also known as 'red tea'
Benefits of herbal tea
Although orthodox medicine is rather cautious of herbalism (to say the least), people have been using herbal cures since times immemorial. Many health improving qualities of herbs are actually scientifically confirmed, the trick is to know which plants are the good ones and how to use them. So if you know herbs really well, you can brew a delicious tea from what you can find on a meadow. If you don't, you may end up picking something poisonous. Remember, plants can heal, but they can also kill and damage so be very careful with what you drink.
If you want to go for a simple option, grow your tea. Herbs like mint, chamomile, lemon balm or sage grow like insane in containers, they can make a pretty addition to your garden, too.
Another option is to simply buy your tea. Herbal drinks are getting more and more popular, so there's plenty to choose from on the market.
Herbal healing - yes or no?
During my research I was surprised to find out that drinking herb infusions is actually quite a controversial subject. Join the discussion and let us know whether you think herbs are beneficial or useless/dangerous.
What do you think of using herbal tea as medicine?
Find your favourite flavour!
A 'mocktail' is a fancy cocktail with all the frills, but no alcohol
Why mocktails are great?
- Because they are healthier than their alcoholic cousins
- Because children can drink them, too
- Because they let you survive any party when you can't or don't want to drink
Make your mocktail fancy!
Kombucha - the wonder-tea
Make your own kombucha
10. Water with ice
The best summer drink you can have!
Answer the question or simply tell me you've been here :) All your comments are very welcome