- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Turkey Barley Soup
Leftover Thanksgiving turkey makes a hearty turkey barley soup, crock-pot style.
I will admit that I am lazy and so a crock-pot recipe for turkey barley soup appeals to me. This is really good and when paired with a loaf of crusty, warm bread, nothing could be better. Now I just need to drag out the bread machine. Imagine, turkey barley soup and warm, fresh bread all made by me. OK, that may be a stretch but I did have to put the ingredients together.
- Place all the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Cover and set the temperature on low. Set timer for 6 hours. This can also be cooked on the stove and It takes about an hour. Check to see that the carrots and barley are soft.
- 6 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1.2 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 sliced carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp marjoram
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsps dried parsley
I love this thing more than any other kitchen appliance I own. It does all the work for me and most of our meals are planned with the crock-pot in mind. Even the toughest of meats quickly become a tasty delight.
Can't have soup without a nice loaf of fresh bread
This is a little tongue-in-cheek because I actually make bread every day with organic ingredients but on a busy day, I have been know to resort to the package mixes for the bread machine.
What do you need for the bread machine?
- Bread machine
- Package of sourdough bread mix
I have a West Bend bread machine that is several years old. It still makes perfect bread and is simple to use. This is a newer model than mine but if mine ever breaks, this is what I am going to get.