- Food and Cooking
Vegetarian Meatloaf Recipes
I love vegan meatloaf
I am the queen of the UnMeatloaf. I'm constantly changing my recipes and experimenting with different ingredients. I've made so many different vegetarian and vegan meatloaf recipes, I can't even remember all of them.
The family used to complain because my UnMeatloaf would be different every time. So as soon as they would get excited about the recipe, I'd try something different and would have already forgotten what I tried the last time.
Lately, however, I've been pretty set with the vegan recipe below, although I do admit to changing up the seasonings and things from time to time. I'm generally not much of a measuring type of cook. I'm more of a throw whatever's in the kitchen into the pan and make it work type of cook. That makes cooking fun, but it's not so easy to share my recipes that way.
I firmly believe that cooking should be a fun adventure and that it's important to try new ideas and experiment with what one has on hand. We often have nuts, grains, and oats around the house and they are fantastic additions or replacements for traditional bread crumbs. I do the same with herbs and spices, using whatever sounds good at the time.
The following are a few of my favorite UnMeatloaf recipes that family and friends enjoy, and that I enjoy making. They are super easy recipes, healthy choices for anyone, whether vegetarian or not, and best of all, serving them often results in big hugs.
This Vegetarian Meatloaf lens was created on 12/19/2010
UnMeatloaf photograph, © Julianne Gentile
This is basically the easy meatloaf our family made with meat, converted to vegetarian. It's very good, and easy to convert to vegan by using TVP or any vegan crumble, and replacing the eggs with Ener-G or other vegan egg replacer. You can skip the eggs and it will still be great, just more likely to crumble.
Prep Time: 10
Total Time: 50
- 1 can of Worthington Burger or about a pound of your favorite faux burger product.
- 1 -1/2 cups bread crumbs - we like whole wheat panko
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 envelope dry soup mix*
- Preheat oven to 375Â°.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Shape into meatloaf pan.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes or until firm.
- Makes about 8 servings.
- * vegetarian onion mushroom and garlic mushroom are good choices.
This still is pretty tasty. Even non vegetarians like this. It's good in recipes like tacos, spaghetti, meatloaf, chili, or straight out of the can.
I prefer the vegan variety
Vegan Meatloaf Recipe
This is one of my favorite recipes and everyone loves it. Super easy, good for you, and delish!
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 8
- 1 14 oz package of Gimme LeanÂ® Beef or other vegan faux beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed (optional
- but very good for you)
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast (optional
- but also very good for you)
- 3 tsp Ener-G or other vegan replacement for 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small chopped onion (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- 1 clove chopped garlic (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp Bragg's Sprinkle (or use thyme and italian seasoning to taste)
- 1/3 cup organic ketchup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fareinheit
- Prepare a loaf pan with oil or cooking spray
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl
- Form into a loaf and place in place in pan
- Optionally you can spread extra ketchup on top of loaf (if you like it that way)
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes
- This meatloaf is amazing hot, and even better in cold meatloaf sandwiches with mustard.
Vegetarian Beef Alternatives
The easiest way to make a great UnMeatloaf is to start with your favorite vegetarian crumbles, or faux meat. These are a few of my favorite choices.
- Gimme Lean Beef - This is a wonderful vegan beef alternative. One package is perfect for making one UnMeatloaf.
- MorningStar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles - This is one of the faux meat products that is easiest to find in your local grocery store. Unfortunately, this is not Vegan, but it is a tasty alternative for vegetarians. One 12 oz. package is perfect for one UnMeatloaf.
- Worthington Vegetarian Burger - Burger is one of the tastiest beef alternatives, but unfortunately it contains dairy and is not vegan. One 20oz. can is perfect for making one UnMeatloaf.
We love Bragg's sprinkle! It's amazing on roasted vegetables, it makes hash browns that are out of this world, and it's the secret to my super tasty UnMeatloaf. It's also good for you. :)
Do you like meatloaf (of any kind)?
People usually love or hate meatloaf, where do you stand?
It's good to have a loaf pan on hand for making UnMeatloaf or your favorite quick breads.