Upside-down Pineapple Cake with pudding
Easy Upside-down Pineapple cake with pudding
This is one of the most requested recipes that I get from my friends for the traditional upside-down pineapple cake. Powdered instant pudding mix is added to a box of lemon cake mix to create a more moist, less crumbly, and fluffier cake. Melted butter with light brown sugar form the caramelized bottom of the pan where pineapple rings and Marachino cherries are assembled. Using a boxed cake mix cuts down the steps and still ensures a fool-proof result.
Follow this visual step-by-step recipe to one of the rich-tasting and mouth-watering upside-down pineapple cakes you have ever tasted. It is guaranteed to get rave reviews.
All photos were taken by Bakerwoman. All rights reserved.
Take this short poll
Have you ever baked or eaten Upside-down pineapple cake?
- 1 box lemon or pineapple flavored cake mix
- 1 small box 3.4 oz. box of powdered instant pudding mix (lemon flavor)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 4 eggs
- 1 20 oz. can pineapple rings
- 15 Marachino cherries cut in halves
- Pineapple juice plus water to make 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 2. Melt 1 stick butter in 13x9x2 pan; remove and set aside.
- 3. Spread 1 cup of light brown sugar over melted butter evenly.
- 4. Drain pineapple juice into measuring cup; add enough water to make 1 1/2 cup; set aside.
- 5. Assemble pineapple rings onto caramelized sugar in pan with halved cherries in center or rings and in spaces between the rings.
- 6. In a large bowl, combine lemon cake mix and Jello instant pudding mix.
- 7. Add 4 eggs, pineapple juice, and vegetable oil. Beat with electric mixture at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl with spatula.
- 8. Pour batter into 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan
- 9. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick or bamboo stick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 10. Cool for 2 minutes and flip onto serving plate or wax paper cut slightly larger than pan. Leave pan flipped and tap the bottom to make sure the caramelized pineapple rings and cherries do not stay stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- 11. Cool and serve.
Heavy non-stick Nordic Ware high-quality pan
Wonderful for entertaining and livens up dessert time. Everyone gets their own mini upside-down pineapple cake. Cake slips out easily which is a plus and makes the cutest little cakes for your next party.
Follow me through these visual step-by-step instructions
Preheat oven and melt 1 stick butter (1/2 cup) in pan about 2 minutes. Remove from oven.
1 Stick Butter (1/2 Cup) and 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
Spread 1 cup light brown sugar evenly over melted butter and set aside.
Drain pineapple juice into measuring cup; cut cherries into halves, about 15
Assemble pineapple rings and halved Marachino cherries with cut side up
Prepare the cake batter
One box lemon cake mix and 3.4 oz instant lemon Jello pudding
Mix lemon cake mix and lemon pudding in large bowl
Use a spatula to blend cake mix and powdered lemon pudding mix. Create a well in the flour mixture with spatula before adding the wet ingredients. This is a good practice to do when combining dry and wet ingredients.
Add the next 3 ingredients
4 Eggs at Room Temperature; Leave out for 1 Hour
Measure pineapple juice plus water to make 1 1/2 cup
1/2 Cup of Vegetable Oil
Add wet ingredients into flour mixture
Beat with electric hand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl with spatula.
Electric hand mixers to ensure a perfect blend
Pour batter into pan over assembled pineapple rings
Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or when done
Center pan in the middle of the oven rack for even heat distribution. Baking time will differ slightly with different ovens.
Oven timer rings - Is the cake done?
Insert a toothpick or a small bbq bamboo stick into the center of the cake to see if the stick comes out clean. I like to use a thin bamboo stick instead of a toothpick to ensure it goes all the way to the thickness of the cake. Sometimes, a toothpick seems too short to go all the way down.
Loosen cake with a spatula knife - Make sure cake can be "upside-down"
After cooling cake for about 2 minutes, loosen with a spatula on all four sides. This will make sure that the cake with the caramelized brown sugar, assembled pineapple rings and Marachino cherries will come loose easily when flipped over.
Flip pan over wax paper - My unconventional way
Allow cake to cool for 2 minutes. Flip the hot pan over the wax paper immediately to ensure that the butter-brown sugar mixture and pineapple rings will release easily without sticking to the bottom of the pan. Tap the bottom of the pan to help gravity along. After 1 minute or so, gently remove pan by lefting one corner with a spatula as pan can still be too hot to touch.
This is the way I transport the cake to work to share with my co-workers. The wax paper liner makes it easier to clean the empty pan. The cake can also be flipped over a large serving plate for a party.