- Food and Cooking
Healthy Vegan "Butter" Recipe
Vegans Can Make a Healthy Alternative to Dairy Butter!
Interesting to find that there are vegan substitutes to butter that are quite tasty as well as healthy!
I became a vegan for health reasons -- I was allergic to both dairy and eggs!! My natural tendencies were always towards eating less meat and more veggies, so some of the changes needed in adapting a vegan lifestyle were quite easy and natural for me. But I knew there were several things I would miss out of my diet -- how would I live without butter!!.
Thankfully, I had a friend that was a great source of information to help me. She was raised vegan, so she mentored me along the way to better health.
One of the best recipes she shared with me was the butter substitute recipe. After experimenting with it a few times, we have modified it to fit in tastes -- and found the best way to make it. Now, I know I am eating a superior product than any margarine or butter I could buy in the grocery store!
So, here is our modified recipe for Vegan substitute for butter or margarine ....
- 1 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, (use a high quality oil)
- 3/4 cup cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, (“First” Cold Pressed is best, nutritionally; just “Cold Pressed” is next best)
- 1/4 cup cup Extra Virgin Flax Oil, (may substitute Extra Virgin Olive Oil or grapeseed oil)
- 1 cup COLD water
- 1 to 4 T (up to 1/4 cup) lecithin (nutritional yeast) flakes or granules
- 1 - 2 tsp Celtic (sea) or Himalayan Salt (or other salt)
- To keep butter from separating as it cools, very important to keep EVERYTHING very cold, especially as the blender tends to warm the mixture.
- **Recommend PRE-MEASURING the coconut oil when warm enough to pour, then freezing it, or at least refrigerating overnight.
- **Also, pre-measure the olive and flax oils (may combine) and leave overnight in refrigerator.
- **Water should be ICE COLD ... recommend making ice water, and scooping or pouring out a cup of the water to use when blending.
- To start:
- Scoop pre-measured cold coconut oil into Vitamix and add the one cup of ice cold water.
- Blend to just barely even consistency.
- Add the other ingredients, and blend thoroughly -- flax and olive oils will give it a yellow-ish color.
- Pour into small tub-like containers. Refrigerate or freeze (freezes very well!)
- If the butter blend separates, you can add a bit of coconut oil and re-blend. Usually this is a sign the blend was warm when you tucked it away. Sometimes leaving off the lid for while when you first put it in the freezer is good.
- This blend is fantastic in place of regular butter on breads, biscuits, pancakes, etc. However, if you use it for cooking/baking best to replace the flax oil with grapeseed oil, which takes high heat better.
Vegan Butter Variations
Take Your Vegan Butter or Margerine Substitute One Step More
We like to make some seasoned butter for toast and rolls, so we pour off ONE small tub of regular butter blend. We, then, add dry spices or granules to the balance, and blend very lightly, before "tubbing".
Spice options include basil, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, Italian seasoning, oregano, etc. But don't overdo it! Start with a teaspoon or two, and see how you like it before increasing the spices in future batches. Also, too many different spices can overpower or mute the unique flavor -- keep it simple. Test different seasonings till you find what you like.
Ingredients for the Recipe
Why Use a Vitamix Blend for Making My Vegan "Butter"?
We use a Vitamix Blender for our dairy free butter recipe after failing completely with our old traditional blender! Blending the thick cold oils were nearly impossible with our old blender. The machine would bog down and stall -- nearly burning out the motor. With the Vitamix, the mixer was much easier to process and seldom blogged down the machine. We were able to make a smooth blended butter with no problems.
What a relief!!
What Else Can the Vitamix Do?
We have found hundreds of uses for our Vitamix, such as .....
**Creaming Spreads (like the "butter" recipe)
**Blending Frozen Desserts (hummm .... coconut milk fruit cream)
Vitamix brags about their best features:
**Spill proof lid with removable lid plug
**Shatter proof container with 64 oz. capacity
**Easy grip handle
**Metal to metal container to base coupling
**Variable speed control
**Powerful 2 peak output horsepower motor
**Easy to clean (one of my favorite features!) -- just add a few drops of dish soap, some warm water, and run on high for 30 minutes!
Vitamix even gives a full 7-year warranty! Can't beat that!!
But that is not all .... Wait until I tell you about the special offer on your new Vitamix ...
SAVE on SHIPPING ....
Thanks right! Order directly from this site and have your Vitamix shipped to you FREE!
Click on any picture or on the link below and you will be taken right to the Vitamix page with your savings coupon already registered for you!!
And .... enjoy your healthy vegan "butter"!!
More appliances that every Gluten Free Vegan kitchen should have:
I wouldn't be without my Kitchen Aid Mixer. The only way to make good gluten free bread (to use with my vegan butter) is with this high powered mixer (believe me, we burned out a copy cheaper ones before getting our Kitchen Aid!)
I don't know what I would do without my food processor either! We use it for everything!!
If you want to make veggie "noodles", this is the tool you will need -- makes great zucchini noodles!
This is a less expensive veggie slicer, if you don't want the one above.
PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A DIRECT LINK TO THE VITAMIX SITE with your code for FREE Shipping!
If you don't like ordering over the Internet, you can call Vitamix Account Mgr. JP Minard and order directly from him at his direct line of 440-782- 2303 (800-848-2649 Ext 2303). The discount code if you do it that way is: 06-006859.
Other Vegan Substitutes for Butter (in baking or cooking):
**1 cup non-dairy (and non-hydrogenated) butter substitute (Earth Balance)
** Â¾ cup of vegetable shortening
**1 cup coconut oil
Oil is 100% fat
Real margarine must be 80%
Oil Spreads and Whipped Spreads can range from zero fat to 70% so read the label if cooking with it!
Shortening, like regular crisco is vegan, and can be used in place of butter in recipes. (Although it is not the healthiest choice.)
To make it healthier, use oil, like Grapeseed oil and 3/4 the amount . If a recipe calls for 1 cup shortening or butter, use 3/4 cup oil.
You can use margarine for baking without any noticeable difference in the final product, if it contains at least 60% fat. There are some very good vegan butter substitutes on the market, and most of them are found in health food stores such as Earth Balance. A real Margarine found in many regular supermarkets is Nucoa brand -- a stick margarine, so easily substitutes for any butter or margarine.
Information adapted from www.TheVeganWolf.com
Vegan Butter - By Mohamjip
I discovered this recipe in Vietnam while eating a vegetarian banh mi sandwich. The sandwich tasted like it had butter on it. The woman who made me the sandwich was happy to share this very simple "butter". Will keep in the refrigerator for about a week.
- 1 avocado medium extra ripe
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Mash the avocado and mix all ingredients together in a bowl until creamy smooth. It is ready to use on your sandwich or toast.