- Food and Cooking
Vegan Lemon Bars
Oh So Yummy Vegan Lemon Dessert Bars!
If you have a sweet tooth beware, try this delicious dessert bar recipe if you dare! I admit that I love my sweets, especially a good lemon bar, and this recipe is the best I have come across for top notch lemony goodness! I'm always asked to bring these to family events and my friends always want this recipe for themselves. This recipe doesn't have to come with too much guilt - its low in cholesterol and sodium. I hope you enjoy this one!
Ingredients For The Crust:
1/4 cup of confectioners sugar
1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 of non-hydrogenated, non-dairy butter (softened at room temperature)
Ingredients For Filling:
1 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of silken tofu (you can use soft or firm)
1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice
Zest from 2 lemons
Confectioners sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons of corn starch
2 tablespoons of unbleached all-purpose flour
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2) Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan with canola oil or cooking spray. Then sprinkle a light coat of all purpose flour.
3) For making the crust, cream the confectioners sugar and non-dairy butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Next add the flour until your dough comes together.
4) Now press mixture into the bottom of your pan. Bake for 20 minutes (lightly browned).
5) Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the filling.
6) To make the filling, blend your tofu in a food processor until creamy.
7) Add your granulated sugar to the tofu and blend until smooth.
8) Now blend in your lemon zest, lemon juice, flour, and cornstarch.
9) Pour the filling over the baked crust and bake for 30 minutes, or until the filling is set.
10) Remove from oven to cool. Serve after cooled by cutting into squares and sifting some confectioners sugar on the top. Enjoy!