- Food and Cooking
Vegan Zucchini Pasta Recipes
Vegan Zucchini Pasta Dishes
The zucchini (or courgette) is a type of summer squash and is a hybrid of the cucumber.
The flavor of zucchini is best when it is less than six inches long.
Here you'll find a selection of delicious zucchini pasta dishes. They are delicious to taste and a lot of fun. They are also very healthy.
The zucchini noodles can be tossed with any of your favorite sauces, but tend to work better with a simple, and non chunky style sauce.
- 1 medium large zucchini per person
- tomato sauce or
- (optional garden basil pesto)
- (optional creamy alfredo sauce)
- salt to taste
- To make zucchini noodles you will need spiral slicer or vegetable peeler or a knife. Use one medium zucchini per person. The peeler method will give you long flat noodles, and if using a knife, just cut the zucchini into thin slices, stack up, and cut again lengthwise into thin strips.
- Boil some salted water, and add the noodles to the water to cook for about 1 minute.
- Tale out and immediately blanch in cold water, or cold running water, to prevent over cooking (The hot sauce will heat up the noodles sufficiently)
- Toss with your favorite tomato sauce, with a garden basil pesto, with a creamy alfredo sauce, whatever you wish. The noodles are very low calorie, and can be a very refreshing meal.
- If you prefer you could alternatively serve these as a side dish, boiled as above, and then briefly sautÃ©ed with melted butter and parmesan or other hard Italian cheese (freshly grated) and salt to taste.
Zucchini Pasta Cookbooks
Zucchini nutritional information
Zucchini is one of the very low calories vegetable that is used during weight reduction and cholesterol control programs. Zucchinis provide only 17 calories per 100 g. Contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Its peel is good source of dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation and offers some protection against colon cancers.
It is a very good source of potassium, an important intra-cellular electrolyte. Potassium is a heart friendly electrolyte; helps reduce blood pressure and heart rates by countering effects of sodium.
Furthermore, zucchinis, especially golden skin variety are rich in flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants such as carotenes, lutein and zeaxanthin. These compounds help scavenge harmful oxygen-derived free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) from the body that play a role in aging and various disease process.
In addition, they are also good in B-complex group of vitamins like thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin and minerals like iron, manganese, phosphorus, zinc and potassium. Potassium in an important component of cell and body fluids, helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
Some popular zucchini varieties are:
* Golden zucchini features brilliant golden yellow skin that retains its color even after cooking.
* Round variety are dense, heavy, and nearly seedless with smooth surface.
* Tatume, which are common in Mexico, have similar features of round variety but have large oval shape.
* Costata romanesco also known as cocozelle is long, narrow variety with slight bulge at the bottom end. It features pale raised ribs in mottled green skin. When solid and young, this squash is juicy and sweet.
* Middle-Eastern types are stocky, pale green, tapering ends with a thick dark green stem. They have smooth shiny skin and solid, crispy and flavorful flesh.
* Yellow crooknecks have thick warty skin with markedly curved neck. They are crunchy in texture with sweet delicate flavor.
Zucchini for weight loss
Zucchini is low in saturated fat, and very low in cholesterol and sodium. It is also a good source of thiamin, niacin and pantothenic acid, and a very good source of dietary fiber, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper and manganese.
Zucchini Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 4 lbs. fresh zucchini
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- Â½ cup chopped fresh strawberries
- Â½ cup finely chopped red onion
- Â½ cup fresh herbs of choice (thyme leaves or parsley)
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- Â½ t. salt plus more to taste
- Â¼ t. black pepper
- 1 lb. Cherry tomatoes
- Using a knife, cut the zucchinis in half length-wise. Using a vegetable peeler, create thin, noodle-like pieces, running the peeler down the length of the zucchini. Transfer the “noodles” to a bowl, toss with the lemon juice and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the tomato juice, strawberries, red onion, herbs, oil, vinegar, Â½ t. salt, pepper and half of the cherry tomatoes and process until smooth. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Toss the zucchini strands with the sauce and remaining cherry tomatoes and serve.
Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer - Your personal assistant in the kitchen
Great holiday gift idea!
Amazing kitchen tool for the professional or home cook
Ideal for creating garnishes
Baby Organic Food - Zucchini Broccoli Vegetable Medley
No added sugar, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
Quick-cooked to preserve nutrition and flavor.
- For the pasta: 1 spiral slicer
- 1 medium zucchini per person
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- For the sauce: One half to one cup Cashew Cream Sauce
- A splash of MimiCreme or coconut milk
- Mild or hot curry to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley mint or basil
- For the plate: Fresh baby salad greens or herb mix
- Sweet yellow tomatoes
- Slices of watermelon cantaloupe or mango
- Fresh parsley or cilantro
- Peel the zucchini. Using a sharp knife, slice off both ends evenly, creating a straight across edge on the bottom and the top of the zucchini. Slice the zucchini in half (if your zucchini is large you may have to slice it in more sections to fit; you want a piece of zucchini roughly 3-4 inches).
- Empty the bowl of the zucchini strands into a mixing bowl. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on the zucchini pasta, sprinkle with fine sea salt, to taste, and gently- very gently- lift and toss the strands to coat. I used a fork to do this. Set aside.
- Start thinning the Cashew Cream sauce with a spoonful or two of MimiCreme or coconut milk (any non-dairy milk will work in this, though hemp milk might not be quite the right choice, taste-wise) or raw young coconut milk to keep it strictly raw. Season with curry and fresh herbs, to taste.
- Figure on roughly 1/4 cup of curry sauce per zucchini- though you can use less or more- to coat the pasta the way you like it.
- Start with a little bit of sauce and toss gently. A little goes a long way. I like to keep the pasta light and not totally drenched in sauce. But if you prefer an Alfredo-like experience, add more.
- Plate the baby salad greens and sweet yellow tomatoes.
- Add a serving of the zucchini pasta in the center of the plate. Garnish with watermelon wedges.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley or cilantro. Serve at room temperature.
- Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com
Joyce Chen 51-0662 Saladacco Spiral Slicer
Great and inexpensive spiral slicer for your zucchini pasta
Zucchini Pasta with Marinara Sauce - Raw Food Recipe
A Raw Diet & Raw Recipe