Vegan Whoopie Pies
I never even knew what Whoopie Pies were until somewhat recently with so many recipes reaching the mainstream. I guess I led a sheltered whoopie pie childhood since I have no recollection of these tasty morsels. I had my first whoopie pie last year at an outlet center food stand. My first thought was "how did I miss out on these?". The rest is history because, of course I needed to make my own at home and then tried a vegan version. This one is my favorite.
Serves: Makes about 2 dozen
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. arrowroot powder
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups soy milk
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbls. soy milk
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and arrowroot, set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream together vegan butter, sugars, vanilla and vinegar until fluffy.
- Alternate adding soy milk and flour mixture until well combined.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto cookie sheets 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until pies spring back when lightly touched.
- Let cool before filling.
- In a mixer bowl, cream vegan butter.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- Add soy milk until desired consistency.
- Fill pies and serve.