Vegetable gratin with herbed chicken , garlic bread and fried rice
About this recipe
Vegetable gratin is a healthy way to enjoy your favorite vegetables . It's a colorful dish which comes out differently each time i make it because of the choice of ingredients. Also , the accompaniments (boiled chicken, french fries , Garlic bread etc.) make it an interesting dish for everybody.
- 1 medium Red Bell pepper, cut into medium pieces (deseeded)
- 1 medium Yellow bell Pepper, cut into medium pieces (deseeded)
- 1 medium Brocolli, cut into medium pieces
- 1/2 cup Potato, cut into medium pieces
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, Slit thinly , horizontally
- 1/4 cup Peas
- 1/4 cup French beans, Chopped
- 3/4 cup white sauce, Cooked
- 1 1/2 cup Pasta, A La dente
- Salted Butter
- Dried Herbs (Oregano , Thyme etc.)
- Black pepper powder
- 1/2 kg chicken (Leg and thigh pieces)
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin (Jeera)
- 1/4 cup water
- Cooked Vegetable Fried Rice (Optional if you want a complete meal)
Preparation and cooking
- Preparation : Cut Yellow & Red Bell peppers , Broccoli , Mushrooms , Potatoes , French beans as stated in the Ingredients tab. Wash them thoroughly and keep aside to dry. (you can use veggies of your choice like babycorn , steamed corns etc.)
- Cooking : Boil pasta as per instructions till a la dente. Add Oil and salt while cooking. (You can use any pasta. Here I have used fusilli which goes best with white sauce). Macaroni also will do if you are running out of time as it cooks faster.
- Boil Potatoes , French beans and peas till they are soft. (I have used an electric steamer with time set at 30 min.) Add salt to taste
- Parallely, saute Yellow & Red Bell peppers , Broccoli , Mushrooms in butter . Sprinkle with salt (as per taste) , black pepper powder and dried herbs.
- In a cooker take oil , add jeera and let it splutter. Add Chicken pieces , add salt , dried herbs and some water (just enough for the chicken to boil). Allow 4-5 whistles.
- Layering : Keep white sauce (recipe in the links below) and fried rice ready by this step. Take a wide glass container (microwave proof) . Start by layering potatoes , French beans , peas , Bellpepers , Brocolli and mushrooms. Put the cooked pasta on top.
- Pour white sauce all over the layers . Ensure that it makes its way till down . (Try not touching the layers at this moment). Sprinkle dried herbs and black pepper powder.
- In a microwave , cook the above dish for 2 -3 mins so that the sauce melts within the veggies
- Plating up : Take a round bowl (medium size). Place Cooked rice in a bowl. Turn it upside down carefully on the plate. Pour 2 ladles of gratin. Place 2 pieces of chicken. (I also used some french fries - Kid's choice). Toast some garlic bread with butter (Or any bread of your choice) . Serve absolutely hot with Love !
how do you like your gratin
White sauce recipe
- Basic White Sauce Recipe
A basic white sauce recipe, made with flour, butter, milk, and seasonings. Add cheese, herbs, or other seasonings to this classic sauce.
Tip # 1
If you are not weight conscious you can have a generous layer of cheese on top of your layers of veggies / meats .
Microwave it for 1-2 mins on high. Let the cheese melt inside the gratin. Serve hot before it hardens.
Tip # 2
For a more crunchy flavour saute veggies like babycorn , capsicum , brocolli till they are crisp & crunchy and add to the dish.
It will give a different texture to your dish.