- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
A Heart and Filling Dinner Option
Vegetable lasagna is a hearty, filling option for dinner. It's quick and easy to make. If your kids don't like veggies this is a great option that will entice them to try something new. This lasagna is also ideal for freezing and reheating throughout the week. I like making this recipe, or variations of it, because it's pretty cheap. You can choose from what is in season or what's on sale when deciding which vegetables to use.
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (16 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 jar (26 oz) pasta sauce
- 1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups mozzarella shredded, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmasan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp basil, minced
- 1 package (16 oz) lasagna noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cook lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Rinse in cold water and drain well.
- Combine green and red peppers, mushrooms, garlic, onion and olive oil in a large sauce pan. Add basil and pasta sauce. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, eggs, and ricotta cheese in a separate bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread a small amount of olive oil on the bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread a small amount, about 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Layer baking sheet with cooked lasagna noodles, mozzarella egg and ricotta mixture, veggie sauce, and parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining mozarella cheese and a sprinkling of paresan.
- Bake, covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking for another 10 minutes until the cheese on top is a light golden brown.
Other Options and Substitutions
This is a very versatile recipe so you can use whatever fresh vegetable you happen to have at hand. Some ingredients to consider are spinach (I love spinach, buy my kid not so much), eggplant, zucchini, and chopped tomatoes. Feel free to replace the eggs with egg substitutes if you like. Cottage cheese would work fine instead of ricotta. I hope your family enjoys this recipe. It's one of our favorites.