- Food and Cooking
Vegetarian Appetizers: Recipes Too Good Not To Try
Whether you're looking to serve finger food at your next get-together or, want a great start to a multi-course meal . . . either way, there's a myriad of flavorful, easy-to-make vegetarian appetizers to choose from.
From divine dips and spreads to finger-lickin' finger foods to fabulous first-course starters, you can WOW your friends and family with these simple-to-make recipes.
Divine Dips & Spreads
Avocado-Edamame Dip - You can serve with baked tortilla chips
Finger-Lickin' Finger Foods
Colorful Salad Rolls
Photo used under Creative Commons from: p medved, on Flickr
Vegetarian Salad Rolls
Recipe by Adell Shneer | Canadian Living
- 4 oz (125 g) rice stick vermicelli
- Half English cucumber, peeled, halved and cored
- 1 sweet red pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 mango, peeled and pitted
- 12 rice paper wrappers (about 6 inches/15 cm)
- 12 large mint or basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped roasted peanuts
- Dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sweet Thai chili sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lime juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each rice wine vinegar and water
- Dipping sauce: In small bowl, stir together chili sauce, lime juice, vinegar and water; set aside.
- In bowl, soak rice vermicelli in hot water until tender, about 10 minutes; drain. Toss with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the dipping sauce.
- Cut cucumber, red pepper, carrot and mango into 3- x 1/8-inch (8 cm x 3 mm) strips. Set aside.
- Fill shallow pan with lukewarm water. Soak rice paper wrappers, 1 at a time, in water until soft and pliable, about 1 minute. Transfer to tea towel and pat dry.
- Along bottom edge of wrapper and leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) on each side, place 1 mint leaf, 1 tsp (5 mL) of the peanuts, 4 pieces each cucumber, red pepper, carrot and mango, and about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the vermicelli noodles. Fold sides over and tightly roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 12 rolls. (Make-ahead: Place, seam side down, on plastic wrap-lined plate or baking sheet. Cover with damp towel and overwrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for up to 8 hours.)
- Cut crosswise in half. Serve with dipping sauce.
Creative Vegetarian Appetizers
Everyone loves party food! But in today's busy world who has time to prepare sensational, healthy hors d' oeuvres to please every palate? Thanks to the creative ideas in Vegetarian Appetizers it's never been easier--or more delicious.
First Course ... Of Course!
Grilled Vegetables with Fresh Homemade Pesto - Keeping it simple with this first-course idea
Photo used under Creative Commons from: DeathByBokeh, on Flickr
Polenta and Eggplant Stacks
Big-Flavor Vegan Recipes You Must Try!
Several absolutely delicious vegan first-course recipes can be found in this gem, 'Yellow Rose Recipes" . . . including the the author's rendtion of Polenta and Eggplant Napoleon as pictured above.
Over 120 delicious full color vegan recipes straight from the heart of Texas, via Portland, Oregon. Yellow Rose Recipes is for cooks who want big flavor without the hard-to-find ingredients they'll only use once. Even your most ardent meat-eating friends will love these hearty, comforting dishes.
Thai Spiced Tomato Soup
Photo used under Creative Commons from: sassyradish, on Flickr
Thai Spiced Tomato Soup
Recipe by Sassy Radish
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai Kitchen red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 (14-oz) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water (you can choose to skip this)
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- juice of 1/2 lime
- a handful of cilantro leaves
- Cook onion in oil in a 4- to 5-qt heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add curry paste and cumin and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, water, brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt and simmer 15 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender or using an immersion blender (be careful when blending hot liquids). Return soup to pot and reheat if necessary. Otherwise stir in lime juice and serve immediately. Sprinkle a few cilantro leaves and enjoy. Serves 4
These Soups Make Great First Courses, Too!
"Featuring easy-to-prepare vegetarian (and many vegan!) soups for almost every occasion, "Love Soup" is enthusiastically recommended for vegetarian and vegan cooks everywhere."