Vegetarian cheesy lasagna al forno recipe
Rate my recipe!
This vegetarian cheese lasagna al forno is a lovely option for an autumn dinner or lunch.
Coming from an Italian background, my mom taught me how to make lasagna; however, I have made changes to the recipe she gave me. It depends on the ingredients I have on hand and on my decision on make it either cheesier or with more pasta layers.
This recipe is a very cheesy and moist option, so if you prefer the dry lasagna with lots of layers, this is not your best bet. I add cottage cheese and reduce the layers to make it healthier. I prefer not to use white sauce because I find it a bit fattening.
- 4-6 mushroom porcini
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic glove
- 1 red pepper, (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato puree
- 350 Gr. Quorn mince or soya meat
- 800 Gr. chopped tomato
- 400 ml. water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ Tsp. salt
- 1 Tsp. sugar
- 1 Tsp. basil
- fresh ground pepper, (to taste)
- 1 zucchini (courgette)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 10 Lasagna sheets
- 400 gr. Cheddar cheese
- 500 gr. Cottage cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Pour boiled water in a glass containing the mushroom porcini and leave it for 10-15 min.
- Chop the onion, garlic, and red pepper (if desired)
- Sauté onion with the garlic for about 2 min or until the onion turns gold. Add the red pepper and cook until slightly brown. Mix tomato puree for 1 min
- Place the mince Quorn or Soya meat in the middle of the pan, stir for about 1 min. Add the 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, stir well.
- Pour water into the two tins until it reaches half of the tin, just make sure it takes all the tomato left in the tin (this serves as a good rinse of the tin before putting it into recycle!). Add the water from the two tins into the mix and stir well.
- Once the mix reaches the boiling point, add the mushroom porcini and bay leaf, mix, then simmer for 30 min. Half way of simmering, add basil, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir well and put the lid on so it continues simmering.
- To make the Lasagna: While the sauce is cooking, slice the zucchini and grill it using a grill pan.
- Slice the cheddar cheese, the slices should be 1-2 mm, so it will give you 30-32 slices.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / gas mark 6
- Spoon the juicy part of the salsa to put in the bottom of a 30x20 cms oven dish.
- Put the 1st layer of lasagna sheets; break them if needed to cover all the area of the oven dish, then, the rest of the layers in the following order: Cheddar cheese/ Sauce / Zucchini / Lasagna sheets / Cottage cheese (try not to add any water) / Sauce / Zucchini / Cheddar / Lasagna / Salsa / Parmesan
- Put it in the oven for 30 min or until golden brown.
Serve together with fresh baby spinach, tomato and cucumber salad tossed with Italian vinaigrette. A good wine to accompany the lasagna is a Chianti Classico.
If you have guests, complement with a tomato, onion and parsley bruschetta as a starter and tiramisu cake for dessert.