Hearty Vegetarian Lentil Stew
My Favorite Recipe to Share!
This delicious lentil stew gets by far the most compliments of any dish I cook! I've had to email the recipe to more friends than I can count. I've cooked it for gatherings at my home, and also put it in a crockpot and brought it over to get-togethers at friends' homes. It is so easy to make! Cook up some rice to go along with it and you have a warm, filling meal!
Photo from Eating Clean Cookbook below
My Non-Veg Friends Say....
"We Love This Dish! No Need For Meat!"
- You Will Need:
- 4 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 1/2 cup lentils
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
*Variation - Make it spicy with some Red Pepper Flakes!
How to Make Lentil Stew
Follow These Step-by-Step Instructions
- First, CHOP. I use my Pampered Chef Food Chopper and chop up the Onion, Celery and Carrot.
Then - SAUTÉ. Heat the olive oil, add the chopped veggies, and sauté until tender.
Add Lentils and Spices, then stir it up. Allow the lentils to soak in some of the olive oil, veggie and spice flavor!
Add Tomatoes and Broth, then bring to a boil.
Let the stew simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. It looks really soupy now, but the lentils will absorb the sauce and become more stew-like in texture. Taste the lentils as the stew simmers so you know when the lentils are the perfect consistency. Some people prefer their lentils crunchier than others, so you can be the judge.
Hearty Vegetarian Lentil Stew!
- Chopping the onions, celery, and even the carrots where no problem for this chopper! It only took a few minutes to get all of my recipe chopping complete!
- I turned on the rice cooker after the stew had beem simmering for about 15 minutes. When the timer pops - dinner is ready!
Prefer Bread Over Rice? - That's Okay - Bring Out the Bread Machine Instead!
- Tomato-Curry Lentil Stew
Add some curry to warm up your winter!
- Ethiopian Spicy Tomato Lentil Stew
Lentil Stew is popular all over the world! (I'm trying this one next!)
- Lentil Stew with Spinach and Potatoes
Add some greens to your lentils for more vitamins!
- Greek Lentil Soup (Fakes)
Sop this soup up some some crusty bread!
- Lentil Soup for Infants
Contains iron, Good source of betacarotene and vitamin C