Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
One of the questions I am frequently asked is, "what can I make for a vegetarian lunch?" Most vegetarians are looking for lunches that are quick and easy to make, delicious, nutritious and packable. Of course, there are always leftovers you can pack, and it's pretty easy to find vegetarian lunch meat alternatives. However, sometimes it's nice to have a fresh, healthy homemade meal for lunch. Below are some vegetarian lunch ideas and recipes. Enjoy!
The Vegetarian Lunchbasket - Over 225 Easy, Low-Fat, Nutritious Recipes for the Quality-Conscious Family on the Go
It's hard to plan healthy meals when life is so hectic. The author, a mother of three vegetarian kids, offers a selection of breads, spreads, soups, sandwiches, entrees, and desserts that are healthy, delicious, easy to make, and perfect for eating on the run.
"Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what's for lunch."
25 Back to School Sandwiches: Veggie Style!
Vegan Lunch Box - 130 Amazing, Animal-Free Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love
If you think vegan lunchtime means peanut butter and jelly day after day, think again! Based on the wildly popular blog of the same name, Vegan Lunch Box offers an amazing array of meat-free, egg-free, and dairy-free meals and snacks. All the recipes are organized into menus to help parents pack quick, nutritious, and irresistible vegan lunches. Ideal for everyday and special occasions, Vegan Lunch Box features tips for feeding even the most finicky kids. It includes handy allergen-free indexes identifying wheat-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free recipes, and product recommendations that make shopping a breeze.
Quick Vegetarian Lunch Recipes
Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
- Spread some veggie ham with vegan cream cheese and roll up for a fun and easy-to-eat lunch box treat.
- Make a veggie dog in a blanket-wrap a veggie dog in a crescent roll and bake. Pack ketchup for dipping.
- Create crunchy triple-decker PB&Js: Cut rice or corn cakes in half with a sharp knife and spread on jam and a nut butter, and then top with the other half.
- Spread bread with eggless mayonnaise (try Nayonaise or Vegenaise) and pile on veggie deli slices-such as faux ham, faux turkey, or "phony baloney" - and Tofutti American soy cheese slices (www.Tofutti.com). Cut into triangles or fun shapes using cookie cutters.
- Make a mock chicken-salad sandwich with Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik'n Strips or vegan sausage, available at health-food stores.
- Pack P.B. Slices (www.PBSlices.com), individually wrapped slices of peanut butter, with bread or crackers; kids can combine them at lunchtime.
- On those hectic mornings, toss a Smucker's frozen PB&J sandwich in your child's lunchbox; it will be thawed and ready to eat by lunchtime.
- Make burrito roll-ups by spreading tortillas with Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese; add olives or diced veggies, roll up, and cut into bite-size pieces. OlÃ©!
- Make your own "good lunch" by packing meat-free Smart Deli Pepperoni slices (www.Lightlife.com), soy cheese slices, and crackers.
- Spread a bagel with Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, top with veggie pepperoni, and cut into halves or quarters.
- Make a mock tuna-salad sandwich by substituting Worthington's Tuno (Available at health-food stores or at www.NoMeat.com) for tuna in your favorite recipe.
- For a healthy alternative to egg-salad sandwiches, try eggless "egg" salad: Mash together tofu, soy mayo, turmeric, salt, and spices. Click here for a recipe.
- Pair veggie kebabs (try cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, sweet peppers, and baked tofu cubes) with "ranch" dip (combine Tofutti Sour Supreme with McCormick Spring Onion Dip Mix-it's vegan!).
- Cut mini-pitas in half, and stuff them with hummus and chopped tomatoes, falafel, or your favorite sandwich filling.
- Prepare an easy pasta salad by combining cooked spiral pasta with diced cucumbers, tomatoes, and/or peppers and chunks of baked tofu, veggie Canadian bacon, or Morningstar Farms Meal Starters "chicken" or "steak" strips; mix with your favorite vinaigrette.
- "Shake 'N Bake" mock chicken chunks instead of the real thing. Several Shake 'N Bake flavors are vegan-just use chopped vegan chicken, such as Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik'n Strips, or White Wave's wheat meat (www.WhiteWave.com); it's great hot or cold.
- Pack hard breadsticks with dip, such as pizza sauce, peanut butter, or hummus.
- Make a mini pizza by topping toasted English muffins (Wonder Bread-brand muffins are vegan) with a dollop of pizza sauce, a slice of soy cheese, and veggie pepperoni.
More vegetarian lunch Ideas at VegCooking > Pack a Lunch With Punch!.
Bento Stainless Steel Lunch Jar
Gourmet Getaway Lunch Tote
Squid Angel Blessed
Many thanks for
SquidAngel blessings from
Tell your own vegetarian story
It's open to everyone, easy and free to do.
WHY VEG? is a collection of personal stories and manifestos (and favorite recipes!) from vegetarians.
Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or eat meat-free occasionally, this group welcomes you to share your story about vegetarianism. In the spirit of healthy bodies and a healthy planet, tell us about your transformation and why you did it. We're also open to yummy recipes, restaurants and any tips you've got on living a vegetarian lifestyle. You could make a page about 'Why I Gave Up Bacon (and lots more)' or 'Why My Girlfriend Convinced Me To Go Vegetarian' or 'Vegetarian Sloppy Joes' -- just a few examples. It's free, of course.