- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Vegetarian Stew - Bean Stroganoff
Bean Stroganoff - A Hearty Vegetable Stew
Here is a stomach filling, hearty stew made entirely of vegetables. Old fashioned comfort food without the guilt. It's a little more elegant than a stew as it has the flavor of beef Stroganoff.
This Stroganoff uses beans instead of beef. The large butter beans add chewiness and body to the stew. The mushrooms and onions make the sauce rich with the flavor of "meaty" goodness. You won't even miss the meat.
If you use sour cream substitute this is vegan. If you opt for regular sour cream this is still a delicious vegetarian meal.
This is a super easy vegan recipe for dinner and one of the most elegant vegan meal.
Bean Stroganoff Ingredients
I suggest you either open some windows, run the stove hood fan or burn some votive candles while making this recipe.
If you are sensitive to slicing onions, this will help.
Fair warning, to bring the onions to an near burnt state causes smoking of the cooking oil.
An open window or a votive candle will help with the onion odor and smoke.
Judge how much seasoning you want to add. I add quite a bit as the ingredients are by nature mild in flavor. Think of the flavor of beans and mushrooms. If you serve the Stroganoff the traditional way, over egg noodles, the noodles are also mild in flavor.
I recommend a low smoke point oil such as canola or safflower rather than olive oil which smokes quite early in heating. The onions get cooked to an almost burnt condition in order to make an onion gravy, and this causes a quite a bit of smoke. I would not use coconut oil as it imparts a sweetness to the dish which isn't really relevant to the flavor.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium yellow onion -sliced
- 1 cup of water
- 8 oz (227g) mushrooms - sliced
- 31 oz (878 g) butter beans (two cans) drained
- 1 - 3 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup of sour cream or sour cream substitute, I use Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream. It is easy to obtain in a large supermarket.
- Add cooking oil to a large heavy skillet and heat on high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook until dark brown and somewhat burned. Stir occasionally to distribute the onion and make sure it browns up evenly. When all the onion is dark brown, slowly add the water and stir, deglazing the pan. Add the sliced mushrooms, lower the heat and cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms start to get shiny, about 5 minutes. Add the butter beans, 1 teaspoon of salt, the pepper and nutmeg. Stir to distribute everything evenly. When the mixture starts to bubble again add the sour cream. Stir again and bring to a bubble again. Taste and correct seasoning.
- Serve over noodles or if you want to keep it gluten free, serve over rice.
Bean Stroganoff Recipe in PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
If you wish to change the recipe to grams use this link
- Ounce to Gram Conversion
This website has easy to use conversion tables. It's a great way to convert recipes written in ounces to grams or grams to ounces.
© 2013 Ellen Gregory