- Food and Cooking
Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
I like to make vegetarian dishes for three reasons.
1. I enjoy meals without meat and find them much easier to digest, especially when eating a late dinner.
2. My adult daughter, has never liked the taste or texture of meat, even as a child and I am always looking for meatless dishes that I and share with her.
3. When I have guests that are vegetarian, I like to have a menu that everyone can enjoy.
I like this Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie recipe because it is tasty, satisfying and the meat is not missed at all. It's the type of dish that can be enjoyed for a weeknight meal with the family or receive many compliments from dinner with guests. Feel free to experiment with this recipe by adding different vegetables, beans or seasonings. This is a wonderful recipe that can be expanded upon with many variations!
- 2 lbs. white potatoes
- 2 tbls. butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk or more
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbls. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup yellow corn
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbls. cornstarch
- 2 tbls. tomato paste
- 1 tbls. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Bring potatoes and water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with butter, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile.... Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil.
- Saute vegetable filling ingredients until tender.
- Dissolve cornstarch in vegetable broth and add to pan, stirring until thickened.
- Add tomato paste, thyme and pepper; stir until well combined.
- Remove from heat.
- Prepare a 3 qt. baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add vegetable mixture.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are browned and dish is heated through.
Healthy and green recipes.
Each delicious recipe features a photo of the dish!
A great collection of vegetarian dishes using seasonal ingredients.
Share a Thought!