- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Our friend Tim is an adventurous cook and loves to serve really special meals for his friends. He lives in Missouri and during one of our visits he tried out this recipe for venison marsala.
He isn't a hunter but one of his friends brought him the venison. I helped him look up recipes and this one caught his eye. He adjusted it to use with his smoker with the final part of the cooking completed on his outdoor grill.
What a special meal that was. With the venison we had garlic mashed potatoes, a medley of yellow squash, zuchinni and broccoli, and a fresh garden salad.
Ingredients for Venison Marsala
- 7 to 9 pound venison roast
- 3/4 pound of bacon
- cup and a half of marsala wine
- chopped onions
- fresh chopped garlic
- 2 or 3 pinches of rosemary leaf
- mesquite chips for the smoker
- Pierce the meat with the special tool and let it marinate in wine throughout the day.
- Wrap the meat in the bacon strips.
- Smoke the meat using mesquite chips. He added celery and rosemary to the water with the wood chips for additional flavoring. Smoke it for 8 hours.
- Finish cooking it on the grill to brown the meat. Baste it with marsala cooking wine during this time. During the browning, top it with the chopped garlic and onions.
- Serve it with your favorite side dishes.
Does It Sound Like a Recipe You'll Love?
Follow the Process in Pictures
Stab the venison with this tenderizer before marinating it in wine.
My husband used a meat tenderizer like this for steak and chicken as well, not just for venison.
Some Advice on Safely Using Marinades
- Safety Tips When Marinating Meat and Using Marinades
Marinades are one of the worst sources of contamination as they can become a soup for breeding bacteria and pathogens. See tips for avoiding this.
Smoke the meat following the directions for your particular smoker.
Tips on Using a Smoker
- How to Use a Smoker - Adventures in Outdoor Cooking!
Do you envy your neighbor that always has awesome smelling grill smoke curling up from his backyard? Let's chat about how to use a smoker ... BBQ smokers, meat smokers, smoker recipes and everything in between. There are several ways to smoke your...
Tim used mesquite but you might want to try other flavors.
Serve It with Your Favorite Side Dishes
It was a memorable meal!— Virginia Allain
© 2013 Virginia Allain