Vintage Jell-O Recipe - Ginger Upper Salad
Lime And Ginger Ale in Jell-O Make a Refreshing Salad
Jell-O made with ginger ale. Not a new idea, and this sweet recipe leaves lots of room to make your own version.
I make mine with Lime Jell-O and diet ginger ale. (I like Canada Dry, but choose your own favorite.) And I like pears, but you can vary both the fruit and the Jell-O flavor to suit your own tastes, and what your family likes best.
There's something about the lime flavor that makes this dessert hit the spot with the right combination of tangy and sweet.
The soda gives it some zip, refreshing for summer, or any time you want a different twist on an old favorite.
Photos by kimbesa
Ginger Upper Jell-O Recipe
- 1 small box (3 oz) lime Jell-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup diced pears (canned or fresh)
- Dissolve the Jell-O in boiling water, in a medium bowl. Add the ginger ale and lemon juice, and chill until very thick.
- Meanwhile, drain and cut up the pears.
- When Jell-O is thickened, fold in the pears. Spoon into a mold if desired. Chill until firm.
Tips For My Gingery Jell-O Recipe
- Be sure to use dead-ripe pears if using fresh ones. Canned pears work just fine, too
- Test your favorite fruit and Jell-O flavors. Any combination that sounds good make a good Jell-O salad (but don't used fresh pineapple, as it contains enzymes that prevent the gelatin from firming up)
- Test different brands of ginger ale, too. If you're in Michigan, for example, you might use Vernor's and see if you like it
- Stir a bit of ground ginger, or minced candied ginger, into the Jell-O along with the water for even bigger zing!
- Serve with a dollop of real whipped cream, to complement the gingery flavor. A dusting of ground ginger on the topping would be fun as well, if you really want to kick it up a notch!
The great thing about Jello is it can go as a salad, or a dessert. It can be as plain or as fancy as the occasion. And you have lots of room to experiment with different combinations.
Add Fruit When Jell-O Gets Thick
Ready to Serve
More Vintage Jell-O Recipes on the Web
- Breaking the Mold: The Vintage Approach to Jell-O | Foodily Blog
Really pretty and festive way with Jell-O!
- Make a jello mold: A retro rainbow dessert – SheKnows
Molded gelatin, once thought of as a "vintage dessert", is still as popular as ever! Here's how to make a Jell-O bundt dessert of your very own. Retro recipes never go out of style.
- Grandma's Vintage Recipes: CREAM CHEESE-LIME JELLO SALAD
This one goes back in time. Cream cheese, Jell-O and Minot.