Walnut and Banana Oatmeal Cookies
If you're looking for a healthy snack, try these tasty walnut and banana oatmeal cookies. They are satisfying and tasty, and they won't add too much sugar to your daily intake. In fact, my cookie recipe doesn't contain any added sugar - the sweetness comes from the mashed banana.
You need just three basic ingredients : mashed ripe bananas, oats and chopped walnuts. I find this recipe is a great way of using up bananas that have ripened past the point where anyone in the house wants to eat them raw. If I'm too busy to make cookies at the time, I slice them up and freeze them until I'm ready to satisfy the "cookie monster".
As you can see in the photo, I've topped mine with raspberries, but you could have them plain, or topped with other fruit - cherries and small strawberries also work well. For chocolate lovers... why not...
The recipe is actually very forgiving - you can vary the proportions of banana, oats and nuts without disaster. If you prefer almonds or pine nuts, that's OK too.
To give a little extra kick, I added some mixed spice which is very popular in the UK. I'm told that pumpkin spice is similar. Another great alternative is cinnamon.
Please rate me:
- 1 large or 2 small bananas
- 1 cup oatmeal / porridge
- 50 g of chopped walnuts
- Spice e.g. cinnamon, mixed spice (UK) or pumpkin spice (US)
- Raspberries, cherries or chocolate topping
- Coconut oil
Delicious UK style mixed spice to add flavour and aroma to desserts, cookies and more.
- Mash the banana with a fork
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or mixed spice (optional)
- Stir in the chopped walnuts and oatmeal
- Oil a baking tray with coconut or other oil or cover with baking paper
- Place 6 - 8 balls around the baking tray
- Flatten into circles
- Top with a raspberry, cherry or chocolate drop (optional)
- Cook for 20 - 25 minutes at 350 F (gas mark 4 or 180 C)
What Type of Cookie Sheet Should I Use?
If you're a cookie-virgin, here are a couple of tips to help you get the best results:
- use a thicker baking sheet for even baking
- aluminum sheets transfer heat more evenly than steel baking sheets and promotes even browning
- raised edges allow easier handling
- make sure you use a baking sheet that is large enough to give plenty of space around each cookie
This three piece set includes small, medium and large cookie sheets. They are heavy duty and easy clean, with a non-stick coating.
This 3-cup capacity food chopper is perfect for chopping nuts, fruit or vegetables. It has an ergonomic grip for easy use and a safety locking lid. The stay-sharp blade, 150 watts of power and high and low pulse button control allow you to chop and mince with precise results.