- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Walnut Pumpkin Soup
Walnut Pumpkin Soup -- A Quick Easy Twist On Pumpkin Soup
This is a little bit different recipe for pumpkin soup. The recipe starts by making walnut milk and using that as the base. It's loaded with flavor and richness and is elegant enough for a fancy dinner. Yet it's quick and easy to make for every day.
The walnut milk adds both creaminess and texture and, of course, nutty flavor. This can be either a vegetarian or vegan depending on how you top it off. I topped mine off with a dollop of whipped cream, hence vegetarian. You could omit the topping or used a whipped cream substitute to keep it vegan and also lactose free.
This decadent tasting recipe is really super healthy and super nutritious. The walnuts are a great source of Omega 3 and the pumpkin is loaded with Vitamin A. It's also a gluten free recipe.
I love to make this in the autumn. The ingredients are readily available and easy to keep on hand.
You will wonder how something so good tasting can be so good for you.
Look at how beautiful it looks in a nice serving dish.
Walnut Pumpkin Soup
Let's first make the walnut milk which we will use as the base.
Walnut milk is very versatile and may be used in so many other recipes, for example in smoothies.
It's a creamy in texture while being lactose free.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 10 min
- Yields: 4 -- 6 oz servings
- 2 cups of shelled walnuts
- 3 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and let sit for an hour to soften the walnuts.
- After an hour of soaking, put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until it has a creamy looking appearance. It will not be completely smooth.
- I like to blend it until i see the brown hulls almost completely gone. The result will be a super creamy liquid with great flavor.
Step By Step Photos For Making Walnut MilkClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Yields: 6
- 3 cups walnut milk
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin seasoning
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup
- whipped cream or whipped topping (optional)
- nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Place the walnut milk in a saucepan and gradually stir in the pumpkin. Keep stirring to break up any chunks. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, add maple syrup and seasoning. Simmer for 4 minutes, stirring pretty often.
- Serve in individual bowls. Garnish with whipped cream, sprinkle with walnuts and nutmeg. For the vegan version omit the whipped cream or use a whipped topping.
Ounce to Gram Conversion
1 cup = 8 ounces
© 2012 Ellen Gregory