Warm-up the House With Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Winter is the time to pop food in the oven warm the house and the souls of the family. In my house this mean baking some good old-fashioned macaroni and cheese. With today's convenience foods so readily available most of us have forgotten how to prepare this meal.
Although there are many methods of cooking macaroni and cheese, I will give you a one dish method I make for my family all the time. It's smell fills the house with the scent of melted cheese and cooks to macaroni noodles right in the oven. There is very little clean-up since it only takes a casserole dish to prepare it in for a quick and easy supper.
I usually serve this dish with sliced fresh vegetables. Tomatoes and cucumbers are my favorite choice. I like to arrange them on one side of the place and save the other side for the macaroni and cheese.
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound chopped Velveeta cheese
- 4 ounces grated mozarella cheese
- 1 ounce grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups water
- bread crumbs (optional)
- Place macaroni in large casserole dish and add water and cheese, stir to distribute ingredients evenly through out the dish. Place into a 350 degree oven and cook for approximately 1 hour. Top with bread crumbs if desired and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Check this dish frequently to determine how well it is cooking, When the top is golden brown and the liquid is absorbed remove from the oven.
Nutritional Value of Macaroni and Cheese
If you Adore macaroni and cheese, you're not alone. It's a favorite in homes across America. The recipes are a kid-friendly and very nutritious food that is easy to prepare and easy for kids to eat.
Velvetta Mac and Cheese calories are considerable. Other mac and cheese calories recipes are also high in calories and nutrition. It is likewise high in fat and exceptionally high in sodium. But some brands of cheese are better than others. And there are ways to reduce calories, fat, and sodium in macaroni and cheese to make it wholesomer.
The following nutritional information is for one serving of prepared Ordinary Macaroni and Cheese using Velveta Cheese.
- Calories: 257
- Fat: 8g
- Sodium: 518mg
- Carbohydrates: 37.9g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sugars: 6.7g
- Protein: 9g
Mac and Cheese Calories
directions suggest adding four tablespoons of butter or margarine and one-quarter cup of whole milk to incorporate into your mac and cheese. A single serving as prepared provides 376 calories and 148 calories from fat. The calories and fat will be much if you eat several servings. You can modify the calories by using low-cal milk and low-fat cheese based on your preparation technique.
Macaroni and Cheese Calories and Nutrition: Preparation Change ups
- If you assemble your mac and cheese with four tablespoons of butter and one-quarter cup of whole milk, you have 445 calories and 48 grams of fat and 30 grams of saturated fat.
- If you make your mac and cheese with four tablespoons of margarine and one-quarter cup of whole milk, You have 444 calories and 48 grams of fat and 10 grams of saturated fat.
- If you make your mac and cheese with four tablespoons of butter and one-quarter cup of 2 percent milk, you have 437 calories and 47 grams of fat and 30 grams of saturated fat.
- If you make your mac and cheese with four tablespoons of butter and one-quarter cup of skim milk, you have 428 calories and 46 grams of fat and 29 grams of saturated fat.
Whichever way you choose to make macaroni and cheese, your results will be a delicious meal sure to satisfy the pickiest eaters in your family. I like to save the little bits of leftover cheeses and add them to my creation. So if you want cheese like my family, you have uneaten pieces of cheese that can be rescued for this meal.
Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese
Making a gourmet version of Macaroni and Cheese is simple. However, to create a particular version of this dish, you will need several different types of cheese. The traditional style of cheese is usually processed and made with artificial ingredients. Instead, try experimenting with other kinds of cheese. Here is a list of some of the cheeses I like to use.
Any cheese you have on hand will do for this recipe. However, a good mix of hard and soft cheese works well. Have fun experimenting. Bon Appetite!