What To Do With Apples- 10 Great Ideas
Here's what to do with apples when there's a bumper harvest:
I love apples, because they are so versatile and relatively low in calories, considering how many nutrients they contain. The question is often, what to make with apples. Cooking with apples is so versatile because you can bake with apples, make juice, apple chips, apple chutney, they provide lovely table decoration ideas or even a gorgeous apple gift. Left as they are, they are crunchy, juicy, make a great snack and provide a natural teeth whitening.
This page celebrates the humble apple, which got it's first mention right back in the garden of Eden at the beginning of creation, although it was a fruit, which we have interpreted as being an apple. In those days they would have tasted quite different to our poor varieties today that struggle with pollution and long storage. However, it's still with us today and people are biting into them all over the world and for that we are truly thankful. Even the tomato was lovingly named The Love Apple by the french in the 16th century as it was a fruit after all!
Table Decoration Ideas
Baking With Apples
Apples For Facial Skin Care
Apple Games & Crafts
An Apple A Day
How To Store Apples
Vote For Your Favourite Apple Varieties
Do you know the Love Apple?
You could eat a different apple every day for more than 19 years, and never eat the same kind twice, so I obviously couldn't include them all here!
In the 16th Century the French named the tomato "La Pomme D'Amour" (the love apple), so the tomato is a fruit!
What Is Your Favourite Apple Variety?
1. Table Decoration Ideas
Make Place Settings With Your Apples
Make Candles With Your Apples - Great Table Decoration Ideas
When you want to know what to do with apples, try making candle holders that are really attractive, natural and easy to make. You simply carve out a tealight-shaped portion from the top of the apple, where the tealight will snugly sit. Let them gently glow on your table. See the video tutorial below.
Apples are also great for making wreaths in which to place your candles.
So simple, yet so effective!
Watch How To Make Candle Holders With Apples - It's easy!
2. Baking With Apples
All Our Favorite Apple Desserts
What is your favorite apple dessert?
Roasting With Apples For Best Meat
Just stuff a whole apple inside the bird before placing it in your roasting pan. When cooked, discard the apple and enjoy a beautifully moist chicken.
Make an applesauce to go with your roast pork. Simply stew some peeled, cored and chopped apples with 1/2 lemon for every pound of apples and a tablespoon of sugar. Add butter and salt to serve.
3. What can I make with apples to preserve them?
Enjoy this Apple Chutney Recipe- with cold meats, sausages or pork.
Serves: Makes approx. 7lb (3.5 kilos)
Ingredients For Apple Chutney
- 2 kg apples
- 3 medium onions
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 pints brown or white malt vineagar
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2/ teaspoon salt
- 200 g sultanas
- 300 g sugar
- Peel and chop onions and apples. Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- Put into a preserving pan with the vineagar, curry powder, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Simmer steadily, stirring now and again until the fruit is soft, then stir in sultanas and sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved, then boil steadily until consistency of jam.
- Put into hot jars and seal.
4. What can I make with apples to drink?
Make a cool, refreshing drink with apples
Freshly squeezed apple juice contains a greater proportion of valuable nutrients than shop bought juice, which has been processed and stored. Get your maximum portions of vitamins A & C and vital minerals: potassium, calcium and magnesium for extra vitality and energy in your day.
Check Out this Bestselling Personal Blender
Freshly squeezed apple juice-
contains rich amounts of pectin, which acts as antioxidants against damage caused by cholesterol in the blood.Try adding hot water and a pinch of cinnamon to your fresh apple juice to make a warming, refreshing drink.
5. What can I make with apples for a tasty snack?
Make Your Own Apple Chips With Dried Apples
Simply peel, core and slice apples into even shapes, lay out between pieces of kitchen towel to absorb surplus moisture and place onto a tray that goes into your microwave. Microwave on de-frost or 30 percent power and cook for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plastic container and leave open overnight. The next day seal container and store. A deliciously healthy snack.
Apples can also be served simply skinned and sliced, sprinkled with a little lemon juice and served on a platter with nuts, raisins or cheese.
6. Apples For Facial Skin Care
Make an exfoliating mask with them
Apples contain colagen and elastin that help to keep the skin young. So apply a mixture of mashed apple, oatmeal, honey and rose water on your skin and enjoy the results naturally!
All About Apples- Did You Know?
In 1307 William Tell had to redeem his life by shooting an apple with his crossbow, from the head of his son. Luckily he was an expert shot and succeeded at freeing himself and his son from death!
7. Apple Games & Crafts- Play With Them
Ideas for parties and harvest festivals!
- Play Bobbing For Apples- a popular game that's sure to get everyone laughing- and wet! Simply fill a bowl with water and add some apples.The guests have to retrieve them using only their mouths, with their hands behind their backs. Bobbing for apples started as a Celtic New Year's tradition to determine whom you would marry. Apples float because 25 percent of their volume is air.
- Play balancing an apple on your head and walking it from one end of the room to the other. Make a relay race with two teams. Whoever drops the apple or touches it with their hands has to start again!
- Make apple stamps by simply cutting them, as straight as possible down the middle, leaving to dry and then painting them in your favorite colors before stamping them out onto plain paper. How about drawing a large tree on a length of wallpaper and stamping the apples onto the tree.
8. An Apple Gift
Wrap them up in chocolate or toffee and give them away- if you can!
Melt some chocolate and dip in 3/4 of the apple half, one at a time, then dip into chopped nuts or sprinkles. When set, wrap in cellophane, tie with a ribbon and attach a name tag.
9. Simply Eat An Apple just as it is- fresh off the tree -
For loads of nutrition and a natural teeth whitening remedy!
An apple provides a natural teeth whitening
It can act as a toothbrush when eaten whole, because the process of biting and chewing an apple clears away bacteria between your teeth and scrubs away surface stains. Apples contain malic acid, a chemical used in teeth whitening products which helps to remove stains. A good reason to eat them regularly!
An apple a day keeps the doctor away
10. How To Store Apples To Enjoy For Later
How To Store Apples
When sorting your apples, choose the unblemished ones to store for later use. Wrap each individually in uncoloured newspaper and place in a cool, dark place. Do not store with potatoes, as they let off an otherwise harmless gas that apples react to, although adding an apple to your potatoes will help to keep your potatoes fresher for longer. Apples shouldn't be frozen either, although if your apples are mainly blemished, you can cook them up into pies etc. and freeze them in this way. Wrapping them individually in newspaper ensures that if any become blemished during storage, they do not contaminate the others. Handle carefully to avoid bruising. Storing apples in this way should give you a ready supply well into the following year.
- Food Day Kansas City -- Apple Share Events at Hand - Food Day
On October 24th apples will be given out in Kansas as an act of reminding people that eating natural food can be a simple, yet important way to live. The apple is being used as a natural, popular food that is readily available and easy to eat.
- Christine Hulme (@Maternal) | Twitter
The latest Tweets from Joanna14 (@Maternal). Blogger, bookkeeper, nursery practitioner, B&B host and homemaker. Kent, UK
- Appetizing Apple Pasta Salad
Are you looking for a healthy, interesting accompaniment for your barbeque or picnic? This easy apple salad recipe will satisfy everyone and nicely compliment your meal.