Wholesome Hearty Oatmeal Jam Slice
Baking in The Fall
Baking on cold wet days during the holiday season gave us something to do as there was to be no playing out side due to the weather.
Watching Mum whilst she worked, huddled around the kitchen table, waiting for our share of what was left in the mixing bowl or on the wooden spoon, filled in the time, learning a lot watching the cooking take place before us, with the warmth of the oven and smells of baking.
This simple recipe is based on one of my mothers. Nothing fancy but very wholesome.
A rich, rather filling slice, which I have modified to make it into a healthy option to be served as an afternoon cake/slice or even a pudding.
Hope you enjoy!
With this recipe I have changed some ingredients from what was used in my mothers day, adding extra dried fruit and hopefully using an organic or homemade jam if you can get your hands on it.
My mother used to use strawberry jam but I have a taste for blueberry .
Served as a slice with a cuppa or as a pudding with yogurt, ice cream or a dollop of cream.
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- t teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cup of chopped dates and raisins or any other dried fruit of you choice
- I1/2 cups instant oats
- 11/2 cups jam of choice
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- Grease and line 23 x 33 cm baking tin
- Mix dried ingredients well and add melted butter
- Add half the mixture into baking tin
- Warm jam slightly and spread evenly over oatmeal mixture in pan
- Add remaining oatmeal ingredients
- Bake for 30 mins or until bubbly around the edges
- Put aside to cool, remove from tin and cut into slices
Here is a similar recipe - Oatmeal Jam Cookie Bars.
Baking With Oats
Do you use oats in any cakes and slices you bake?
© 2011 Julia M S Pearce