- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
* Three Wild Mushroom Soup Recipes
Wild Mushrooms make delicious soups
One of my favorite things to eat on a cold winter's day is a big bowl of hot soup. Instead of the traditional potato or chicken noodle, I like to occasionally mix it up by eating mushroom soup.
For homemade soup, it cooks up fairly quickly, and it tastes delicious. These soup recipes are hearty and satisfying.
They are made with a few staple herbs that you can find around the house and you can choose any type of wild mushroom you like to go in it.
Copyright photos if not mentioned otherwise: Titia Geertman
This is a delightful book with lots of pictures. I always want to 'see' what I'm cooking.
Poll about Wild Mushroom Soup
Do you like Wild Mushroom Soup
If you're planning to pick Wild Mushrooms in the wood, be sure you know which mushrooms are edible.
Not All Mushrooms are Edible
some are deathly poisonous
Don't go picking mushrooms in the wild if you're not completely sure you will recognize the ones that are edible, or you could end up being very sick or even dead. Recognizing mushrooms is not always easy. I do like to photograph wild mushrooms, but I sure won't pick them myself to eat, I rather rely on what my grocer is selling.
Only about 150 of the 1.5 million known species is considered toxic, but that doesn't mean that you can eat all the others. Being non toxic only means that you won't die when you eat them, but they might taste awful. Hallucinogenic mushrooms are edible, but I don't think you'r gonna serve them for dinner.
So be very careful when picking mushrooms, because some very toxic species look just like their non toxic brothers, which is the case with the mushroom called Death Cap including several other species of the Amanita genus.
Videos: How to Identify Wild Mushrooms - don't eat them unless you're absolutely sure you have the right one
Educate yourself about Wild Mushrooms
- Identifying wild mushrooms by Peter Jordan
http://www.EatWeeds.co.uk - Excerpts from Peter Jordan's The Collectors' Guide to Wild Mushrooms DVD.
- Searching for Morels
http://www.surefirewoodsman.com/ Best places, times and methods for gathering wild shrooms in a coniferous forest. Part 1: * Mushroom Season (dates) * Mushro...
- Collecting mushrooms is not always allowed
Introduces the novice shroom hunter to the basics of field identification! Shroomhunter 101 focuses on members of the genus Psilocybe (MAGIC MUSHROOMS), whic...
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: 1
- 1/4 C minced onion
- 1/2 lb mixed wild mushrooms
- 1 3/4 C vegetable broth
- 2 Tsp garbanzo flour
- 3 leaves kale
- 1/8 tsp celery seed
- 3 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- Deglaze the onions in a medium-size pan on low heat, using some table spoons full of the broth to loosen the onions. In the meantime slice or chop the wild mushrooms. Add 2 Tsp of broth, the celery seed and the mushrooms when the onions are nicely colored and put the heat to medium. Cook, while stirring occasionally for about 5 min.
- Stir the mushrooms again and cover the pan and cook for another 10 min.
- Peel the roasted garlic and chop/squeeze them to puree. Mix the flour and 3-4 Tsp of the broth and turn it into a smooth paste. Slice the kale into thin strips.
- When the 15 min. have passed, the mushrooms and are done, add the remaining broth, salt, garlic and the flour paste. Bring the soup to the boil while stirring constantly to keep it from burning.Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for another 5 to 10 min.
- Stir the pepper (to taste) and the sliced kale into the soup and eat it while it's hot.
1. If garbanzo flour is not available, then use something similar.
2. You may use spinace in stead of kale.
3. If you want to make more servings, just add to the measurements.
Video: More Wild Mushroom Soup Recipes - visible cooking
- Roasted Wild Mushroom Soup
Here & Now resident chef Kathy Gunst shows how to make a delicious Roasted Wild Mushroom Soup. See this and other recipes at http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2011/...
- Ham and Wild Mushroom Soup Mix
In which I experiment with making dry soup mixes for camping and MRE's. Recipe: 1/3 cup Minute Premium Rice 1 pkt. Goya Ham Flavored Concentrate (dry) 1/4 oz...
- Vegan Mushroom Soup
Vegetarian Meals highlighting different varieties of mushrooms and demonstrating easy vegetarian recipes for delicious vegetarian meals the whole family will...
Prep Time: 10
Total Time: 40
- 1.5 lb mixed wild mushrooms
- 4 Tsp butter
- 3 C chopped onions
- 4 -5 tsp dried dill
- 2 Tsp mild paprika
- 4 Tsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tsp flour
- 4 C water
- 2 C milk or milk substitute
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 C sour cream
- some parsley for decoration
- a large thick-bottomed pot with a lid
Paula Deen Porcelain 6 Piece Cookware Soup and Stew - Perfect for cooking wild mushroom soup!
A good pot to cook and stew in is a must when you want to make a delicious Wild Mushroom Soup. If you don't have such a pot, maybe this one suits your needs.
- Melt the butter in the pot and sauté the onions for about 5 minutes, till they're tender and glazy. Add the sliced mushroom, the dill and the mild paprika and add the salt. Stir well, put the lid on the pot and let it all cook for about 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Turn the stove to medium heat and stir in the lemon juice, gradually sprinkle in the flour, while stirring constantly. Gradually add the water, keep stirring, cover the pot and cook for about 10 minutes, stir often. Stir in the milk and add some black pepper and taste to see if it needs more salt.
- Whisk in the sour cream (on low heat), don't let the soup boil.
- The soup is done cooking, decorate with parsley and serve it hot.
Yellow Forest Mushroom
Jack 'O Lantern?
Wild Mushroom "Jack 'O Lantern" - one you want to stay away from
Not sure if they're Jack 'O Lanterns
I'm not sure, but the mushrooms in this photo look very similar to the deathly toxic mushroom Jack 'O Lantern (Latin name is: Omphalotus illudens)
More information about this poisenous mushroom can be found at the Mushroom Expert
Poisonous Wild Mushrooms "Jackolantern"
Wild Mushrooms are Soooooo Delicious
Prep Time: 10
Total Time: 35
- 1.5 Tsp butter
- 1 big finely chopped onion
- 2 pieces of garlic
- 1 Tsp flour
- 5 C veggie or chicken broth
- 1.5 lb mixed wild mushrooms
- 6 leaves of sage
- 1/2 C white wine
- 1/2 C whipped cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- some parsley for decoration
- Melt the butter in the soup pot, add the finely chopped onion and the sliced garlic and sauté for about 4 minutes, till the onion looks glazy.
- Gradually sprinkle in the flour and keep stirring for 1 min., then gradually stir in the broth.
- Add the mushrooms and bring it to boiling. Put the heat to low, cover the pot and cook gently for about 15 min. until the mushrooms are done. Keep stirring occasionally. Add the chopped sage.
- Take out about 1/4 of the mushrooms and keep them apart. Blend the soup in a food processor till it's smooth. Put it back into the pot, put in the mushrooms you had kept apart and stir in the wine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat it till boiling point and serve in deep plates or bowls and garnish them with some parsley.
Mushrooms in Forest
People like Wild Mushroom Soup
Some more Wild Mushroom Soup Videos- To see is to do
- Soup with Wild Mushrooms
Visit http://www.harvesteating.com to get the written recipe for this video. Chef Keith Snow creates a delicious Wilde Mushroom Soup.
- Wild Mushroom Soup Recipe
We got chantrelles, boletes, and a huge cauliflower mushroom that was sighted a week earlier. It weighed in at 1.5 kilos. This isn't an attempt at a recipe v...
- Chanterelle and Cauliflower Mushroom Soup
Want to know what to do with the extra wild mushrooms you collect? How about a delicious soup made from Chanterelles and a small Cauliflower mushroom? The fl...