Easy And Delicious Tomato Recipes
Where Did Tomatoes Come From?
- Tomatoes originated from the Andes, called Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador - where they actually grew wild. Tomatoes were cultivated by the Aztecs and the Inca tribe as early as 700 AD
- In the 16 th century they arrived in Europe. It is thought that Columbus might have brought them by ship.
- Also it has been said that the Spanish Conquistadors brought them from Central America to Europe.
Sun Dried Tomatoes Ready To Use
Spoilt For Choice
Tomatoes are used in so many dishes and really add flavour.
Tomatoes With Breakfast
Look At This Delicious Tomato Pie Recipe ..and instructions!
Fresh Tomatoes Are So Beautiful In Garden Salads And Are Packed With Vitamin C.
Vitamin C must be eaten every day as it is not stored in the body.
Fresh Garden Salad
Fun And Whimsical Tomatoes Graphic Art
Tomatoes And Melted Garlic
- Halved tomatoes and melted garlic and cheese are such good companions. Leave them under the grill for a few minutes.
How To Make A Fresh Tomato Sauce For A Spaghetti Bolognaise.
My Recipe Idea For Stuffed Tomatoes.
- Mix your lean ground beef mince with half teaspoon mixed herbs. Half kilo mince.
- Half cup of dried bread crumbs.
- 1 teaspoon garlic chopped.
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all together in a bowl and pile into scooped out tomatoes. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated mod. oven for 45 min approx or until cooked.
- Serve with rice and salad.
Stuffed Baked Tomatoes
- Tomatoes can be added to most salads to enhance the flavours and create a Mediterranean look too.
- Baby tomatoes feta cheese and lettuce makes a delicious salad combination.
- Rice and tomato salad with chives, mushrooms , ham and peas is a great combination . Bring the cooked rice salad together with some creamy mayonnaise or salad cream. I always add my herbs plus a little brown sugar to this creamy mayo mixture and only then do I fold it into the cooked rice mixture. Some crumbled hard boiled egg looks good sprinkled over this salad, after completion.
- Fried bacon and baked sliced tomatoes is such a wonderful flavour combination!
The Healthy Tomato
Grow Your Own Tomatoes
- Love these baby tomatoes growing in this white bucket container. Imagine picking them from your own back yard crop!
Delicious Looking Fresh Tomatoes.
Tomatoes Are Thirst Quenching
- Take the skins off 4 tomatoes in boiling water. Place in blender add some Worcester sauce, salt, pepper and two teaspoons of brown sugar and half a cup of water. Blend till smooth. You have a wonderful refreshing drink. Add some ice blocks too.
- When you buy the tinned tomato juice remember to add ice and a stick of celery for garnish and pizzazz.
Baby Tomato Bread And Herb Salad
Easy To Rustle Up
Tomatoes Really Give Taste And Depth To Dishes.
- Even using a tomato paste in a stew or oven bake can make a huge difference to the flavour and overall taste of the dish.
- The paste comes with other flavours these days. Garlic and herbs. Curry and a host of other spice combinations.
- Dried tomatoes are a good substitute as they can be kept in your grocery cupboard for longer periods.
- Keep some tinned whole tomatoes in your grocery shelf as a standby, if you have no fresh ones available and friends suddenly arrive out of the blue!
Who loves tomato soup and crusty bread!
- Garlic toast and tomatoes are a good combination as seen in he soup photo above.
- Snipped chives are wonderful tasting on top of this baked pasta treat, seen in the picture below.
- Tomato soup is a meal in itself and very filling.
- Add a small dollop of sour cream in the centre before serving with snipped garlic chives on top for decoration.
- Croutons served with soup also add to the overall presentation and taste!
An Italian Recipe With Tomatoes
Tomatoes On Top Of Pasta
Some Different Ways Using Tomatoes.
Most people love tomatoes and they are so versatile! Here are some ideas.
1. Tomatoes are used a lot in stews and casseroles, bringing in and adding a lot of flavor.
2. Ham, cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches are one of my favourites. Easy with an electric snack toaster.
3. Love tomato salads with cheese ,olives and garlic chives.
4. Stuffed tomatoes are great baked with a filling of mince mixed with your favourite herbs and spices!
5. Another idea is to slice tomatoes thinly and layer with a little brown sugar ,salt , pepper, chopped onion and Fresh basil. Pour a little vinegar and water over it and keep cool till needed.Ideal for that barbecue.
6. Tomatoes are used so much in pasta sauces and go so well with garlic, cheese and Italian herbs.
7. Baby tomatoes are my favourite used in open salad platters with fresh lettuce and feta cheese, hard boiled eggs and a dusting of chopped chives over the top for decoration and taste.
8, What about a nice fresh tomato drink whizzed up in the blender with a few fresh herbs, salt and ground pepper!
What are your favourite tomato ideas?
Baked Sliced Tomatoes
Delicious Tomatoes Sliced And Baked In Oven
- Sliced tomatoes with peas, spring onions, mixed herbs and grated cheese sprinkled on top before it goes into a moderate oven for thirty minutes.
Tomatoes Are A Must In Summer
Summer Salads That Include Tomatoes Bring Colour And Health To Your Meal
Health Benefits Of Tomatoes
- The tomato has been known to as a "functional food," a food that not only providing just basic nutrition, but preventing chronic disease and providing other health benefits, due to beneficial phyto chemicals such as lycopene.
- Tomatoes are a great source of vitamins A and C and folic acid. Tomatoes contain a wide array of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants, including alpha-lipoic acid, lycopene, choline, folic acid and beta carotene.
- As your plant food consumption goes up, the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer lessens.
Toasted Cheese And Tomato Treats
- Tomatoes are so important in toasted cheese creations. Maybe you will not use them every time but most of the time, you will!
- Egg, bacon and tomato toasty treats are also a delicious snack for lunch.